Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID not permanently enabled.

I think the question was not primarily how to re-set password but rather why touch ID isn't permanently enabled. I repeatedly successfully use my touch ID many times consecutively, but then seemingly after a set number of logins a typed password is required, which is irritating.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 2:03 PM

Hey there Gnome of Zurich,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you have questions about still needing to enter your password when Touch ID is enabled on your Mac, and we'd be happy to provide you with the best details.

To get started, this would be expected behavior. For security, you need to enter your password when you start your Mac. Additionally, you may need to enter your password to continue using Touch ID. For example, you would be required to re-enter your password every 48 hours and after five incorrect fingerprint attempts. You can find this and more details in the following link: Use Touch ID on Mac

Let us know if you have any other questions; we're here to help.

Have a great day!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 2:03 PM in response to Gnome of Zurich

Hey there Gnome of Zurich,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you have questions about still needing to enter your password when Touch ID is enabled on your Mac, and we'd be happy to provide you with the best details.

To get started, this would be expected behavior. For security, you need to enter your password when you start your Mac. Additionally, you may need to enter your password to continue using Touch ID. For example, you would be required to re-enter your password every 48 hours and after five incorrect fingerprint attempts. You can find this and more details in the following link: Use Touch ID on Mac

Let us know if you have any other questions; we're here to help.

Have a great day!

Touch ID not permanently enabled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.