Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing archived mailboxes to Apple Mail — structure of folders

I have moved to a new MBP (M1, Big Sur), and I am recovering my old documents and software slowly, piece by piece, through new installations and/or TimeMachine backups (I did not do a full restore from TimeMachine).

Now I'm trying to import some "local" (archived, "on my Mac") mailboxes that I used to have in my previous Mac's Apple Mail. I wonder why, after importing, they have their whole "structure" visible, which was not the case before.

Here I explain the steps I followed and the result I obtain.

First, I located the archived, "local" mailboxes in my TimeMachine backup (on an external hard drive) under ./Library/Mail/V7:

Here are the folders I am interested in recovering: the ones named 2015, 2016, etc...

Then I go into my Apple Mail, choose from the Menu "File">"Import Mailboxes...", and then I face this option:

I choose "Apple Mail" (albeit the folders in the library have a suffix .mbox). Next, after I choose the "2015.mbox" folder from the TimeMachine, I am shown this option:

I leave everything checked as shown, and choose "Continue". The result is:

Sure, the messages are all in the folder Import-2/2015. But on my previous computer, I was not shown all the "ugly innards" of the 2015 folder, no subfolders called "99D131..." etc.

Why does this (previously hidden) structure show up when I import the messages from the old Library (via TimeMachine)?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 4:21 AM

The email you want is in the "messages" folder at the bottom. You need to open those and then move them to the mailbox you want then you can delete the import. That is the way TM works on importing mail.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 17, 2021 4:33 AM in response to tbirdvet

I see, thank you very much, @tbirdvet

Will do that. Does not seem very practical in other cases, however. E.g. here, where the there is not a unique "messages" folder at the bottom, but several ones:

So here I have to copy the messages from all the "Messages" subfolders, I assume?

(related question: What is the meaning of this substructure in 1, 2, 3, 4, ...? Do these folders have any meaning?)

Importing archived mailboxes to Apple Mail — structure of folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.