Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD is 1TB, but only 650GB avalible

I upgraded an iMac late 2013 to a SSD drive recently. Prior installing the drive, I partitioned the drive into two of them, as I wanted to have bootcamp in one of it.

Turns out, I couldn't simply clone the bootcamp system to the container. Therefore, naturally, I wanted to delete that container and give back the space to Macintosh. Perhaps it's important to note that this specific container was formatted to Fat32.

It was deleted, but now the partition map shows lines over a seemingly "hidden partition", and the size of Macintosh HD remain the same. The images below should explain the situation well.

Now, I just want one partition for my mac. How do I do so?

Please help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 7:53 PM

If you have a TM backup, then you can reinstall macOS from a bootable macOS USB installer. Then when you boot into the new OS Setup Assistant will ask if you want to migrate from a TM backup. I recommend the macOS USB installer as it give you more options in case of problems since Internet Recovery Mode isn't always reliable.

You can also use CCC if you can still boot your original hard drive externally.

I would use whatever method will give you the most recent backup of your files or whichever method you feel is easiest or best.

No matter which option you choose, just make sure to erase the whole physical drive. Here is an Apple article showing how to reveal the physical drive within Disk Utility:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 7:53 PM in response to SkecoxTalar

If you have a TM backup, then you can reinstall macOS from a bootable macOS USB installer. Then when you boot into the new OS Setup Assistant will ask if you want to migrate from a TM backup. I recommend the macOS USB installer as it give you more options in case of problems since Internet Recovery Mode isn't always reliable.

You can also use CCC if you can still boot your original hard drive externally.

I would use whatever method will give you the most recent backup of your files or whichever method you feel is easiest or best.

No matter which option you choose, just make sure to erase the whole physical drive. Here is an Apple article showing how to reveal the physical drive within Disk Utility:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

Jan 17, 2021 5:46 PM in response to SkecoxTalar

You will most likely need to start over from scratch. It will most likely be the fastest & easiest option (and perhaps the only option).

As you have discovered cloning a Windows Boot Camp partition is not simple. The only time you can clone a Windows Boot Camp partition is when you are restoring the cloned image to the exact same place on the drive, otherwise the Windows bootloader won't be able to find the Windows system boot files. This means whenever you completely erase a drive you will need to manually setup and reinstall Windows Boot Camp from scratch and create a new clone image.

Disclosure: I don't use Windows Boot Camp, but this is information I have seen on these forums posted by other more knowledgeable users. I have seen several posts about this on these forums.

Jan 17, 2021 6:17 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you for your reply.

If I were to "start over from scratch", which I assume require reformating the disk, what method should I use? I'm considering Carbon Clone Copy, which is the software I used when transferring the original HDD to the current SSD.

It's because I did this before physically changing the harddisk and I don't think I would be dissecting the iMac once again.

Would time machine be possible? What would the steps be in order for me to achieve one partition without losing any data?

Thank you.

SSD is 1TB, but only 650GB avalible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.