Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not able to partition my 1.0 TB internal HDD back to normal.

Recently I had 550 GB of my HDD partitioned for windows through bootcamp. It all worked out well until I thought it was time for an upgrade. I went to my Disk Utility application and deleted the windows partition, and instead of the mac OS taking up the space, it was just an empty APFS container that I couldn't delete. I opened bootcamp and made another partition on top of my mac partition and windows did not install. I deleted the partition again and it was just an empty container. I reached the point where I don't mind formatting my computer as long as I get my 1 TB mac OS back.

Posted on May 26, 2019 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2019 9:16 AM

A BCA-created partition should not be deleted by Disk Utility and vice-a-versa, unless there are very specific issues being addressed. The recommended method is documented in Remove Windows from your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support.

Can you post the output of

diskutil list

diskutil apfs list

from macOS Terminal?

Similar questions

14 replies

May 26, 2019 12:10 PM in response to Meeharbi

You still have the two same containers, so nothing changed. El Capitan will not recognize APFS.

Does Local Recovery work? If it does not, then Leave your internal disk as is.

Use How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support and install macOS Mojave on an external disk (32GB or larger, USB3 is preferred over USB2 for speed). If you are offered El Capitan, install it on the external disk and upgrade it to Mojave. Till you get to Mojave, do not manipulate the internal disk.

Not able to partition my 1.0 TB internal HDD back to normal.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.