merging "free space" with apfs

Hello! I decided to run windows on my MacBook based on Intel, but somehow windows wouldn't even start. I decided to reinstall windows via bootcamp. I click on the "restore" button, and the memory allocated for windows remained in "free space". I tried many ways but none worked, including first aid and resizecontainer. How can I move the free 140GB of memory to the disk1?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 22, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2023 1:30 PM

More than likely you will need to delete & merge the Linux Swap partition into the Container, then try merging the free space into the Container. It all depends on the order of these partitions, they must be immediately next to each other in order to be merged...I'm not sure the ordering shown in the screenshot is the true ordering on the drive.

I know that someone else I helped last year had to use the command line to merge the free space into the next partition/Container, but I don't recall the exact command options & format needed to do so. Before even attempting any partition modifications you will want to make sure you have a good backup of the computer just in case something goes wrong & you lose access to the data on the internal drive.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2023 1:30 PM in response to Like_yoself

More than likely you will need to delete & merge the Linux Swap partition into the Container, then try merging the free space into the Container. It all depends on the order of these partitions, they must be immediately next to each other in order to be merged...I'm not sure the ordering shown in the screenshot is the true ordering on the drive.

I know that someone else I helped last year had to use the command line to merge the free space into the next partition/Container, but I don't recall the exact command options & format needed to do so. Before even attempting any partition modifications you will want to make sure you have a good backup of the computer just in case something goes wrong & you lose access to the data on the internal drive.

merging "free space" with apfs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.