Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Target Display Mode 2011 iMac đź–Ą to 2020 iMac đź–Ą

No problem connecting in target display mode or Target disc mode my current late 2014 iMac 27 inch running Big Sur to my 2011 iMac 27 inch running Sierra,, so connecting thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt, which is the same cable.

Concerned a thunderbolt 3, which is a different connector would need the thunderbolt three to 2/thunderbolt adapter and need a 2011 to be used in target display mode using my DAW logicPro workstation with two displays. Otherwise program program is much more difficult to use.

If anyone has experience if this will work still with 2020 iMac to the 2011 iMac which would require the adapter thunderbolt 3to thunderbolt 2/thunderbolt, or where I might find the answer.

Best, Seth

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 8:40 AM

Apple has discontinued use of target display

You can connect any of these older iMac models to another Mac from 2019 or earlier for use as an external display. 

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 17, 2021 7:47 PM in response to Seth77

Thank you so much for your reply and I suspected this was the case but I’ve learned never to assume anything when it comes to connectivity. Will this be the case with that iMac’s 27 inch i5 Intel 2020 models? Wait, no the 2020 iMac’s will be the new Apple CPU M1, I believe they’re called? Or are they going to change the thunderbolt protocol again I wonder?

Maybe better stick with the 2019 model with the i5 or i7?

Target Display Mode 2011 iMac đź–Ą to 2020 iMac đź–Ą

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.