Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change Apple ID to new iCloud address?

When I set up AppleID years ago, I used an existing 3rd party email address instead of letting it set up an iCloud email, so I don't have an iCloud email address. That is now causing me problems with Apple Mail accounts that I won't go into here. But I am pretty sure the solution is to set up a "new" iCloud mail account [I'll be using my iMac], change the Apple ID to that email address, and then change over the AppleID on my other devices. I have these questions about the process.

• I read online how to initiate the setup of the iCloud mail account using System Preferences / iCloud on the iMac and clicking on Mail, which currently is NOT checked. That makes sense; I can do that.

• Does that automatically change & link my AppleID account on the iMac to that new address, or do I have to do something?

• Then change the Apple ID on my other devices?

• Do I have to log out of the current AppleID before doing the above steps on the various devices?

Thanks for any help.

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 1:12 PM

Hey there David Tomer,

We understand you have some questions about the process of changing your current primary Apple ID email address to an @iCloud email. We'll be happy to help clarify.

You are correct that enabling the the Mail option within the iCloud section of System Preferences will begin the setup process. Other options for doing this are covered here: Create an email address for iCloud Mail

Once you create the @iCloud email, it will be linked to the Apple ID that is currently signed in on the device you used to complete the setup. However, the old Apple ID email address will still be the primary Apple ID email.

In order to change from the third-party email to the @iCloud address, you'll need to use these steps: Change your Apple ID

Note that it states "If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later."

Once you wait 30 days and are able to make the change, you'll move onto these steps next: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

This covers exactly how to make sure the change is fully implemented on all your devices.

Let us know how that goes or if you have any questions. Cheers!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 1:12 PM in response to David Tomer

Hey there David Tomer,

We understand you have some questions about the process of changing your current primary Apple ID email address to an @iCloud email. We'll be happy to help clarify.

You are correct that enabling the the Mail option within the iCloud section of System Preferences will begin the setup process. Other options for doing this are covered here: Create an email address for iCloud Mail

Once you create the @iCloud email, it will be linked to the Apple ID that is currently signed in on the device you used to complete the setup. However, the old Apple ID email address will still be the primary Apple ID email.

In order to change from the third-party email to the @iCloud address, you'll need to use these steps: Change your Apple ID

Note that it states "If you try to change your Apple ID to an @icloud.com email address that was created within the last 30 days, you will be asked to try again later."

Once you wait 30 days and are able to make the change, you'll move onto these steps next: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

This covers exactly how to make sure the change is fully implemented on all your devices.

Let us know how that goes or if you have any questions. Cheers!

Jan 20, 2021 4:54 PM in response to David Tomer

I didn't get very far, SnickZ :-(

When I attempt to put in an email address in the iCloud/Mail setup box, I get a momentary spinning circle and then nothing. I am returned to the setup screen as if nothing happened. I did try a couple of names that were taken, and got an error message for those. But when I put in an apparently valid name, it doesn't "take". I try putting in another valid name, same thing. No error message, just that momentary processing circle then back to put in the name.

Feb 28, 2021 4:18 PM in response to David Tomer

Success, SnickZ! Thanks again.

After waiting the 30 days, I was able to change my AppleID without any problems.

"What to do after the change" created a few hiccups, but I got it done. I'll briefly summarize here to possibly help others.

I made the change on my iMac. The AppleID was updated with the new ID on my iPhone and iPad without me doing anything. Based on the support web page, I thought I would have to log out/log in, save iCloud, etc. Though that created some confusion for me, I got it done.

When I went to change the email accounts in Mail [recall that conflicting email accounts due to third party AppleID caused this problem in the first place], I thought I had to add the iCloud account on my iPhone. Turns out, all I had to do was click ON Mail in the iCloud account.

And after a bit of false starts, I have all of my email accounts operational, with IMAP, and I think operating mostly correctly.

One question: When I select folders for Sent, Drafts, Trash/Deleted in the mail account setup/Advanced, using IMAP, I'm confused about whether to select Server [or gmail or similar] or On My Mac. I assume Server keeps them available on all devices? But I see lots of similar Mailboxes automatically created in Mail??

Change Apple ID to new iCloud address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.