Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes app on MacBook not accepting the correct password.

On my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) running macOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69), I was unable to unlock notes using my Notes password. I know the Notes password, and I'm sure I do, because I was able to type it in on my iPhone in order to unlock the same iCloud note on the same Apple ID. I typed it at least 20 times on my MacBook just being absolutely sure I wasn't mistyping it, which I wasn't, but it wouldn't unlock. I realized it just wasn't accepting the correct password.

There is an option to reset your Notes password, but this reset only allows you to create a new password for notes you lock from now on. Notes that already have a password aren’t affected. So after the reset, I was still unable to unlock my notes.

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 11:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 11:48 PM

There was something wrong with the software that it wouldn't accept my inputed password when I typed it directly into the password field. I decided to try something else. I typed my password into a browser bar (as a way to sanitize the keyboard output), and I cut the password from the browser bar, and pasted it into the password field in Notes, and it worked.

So anybody having this same problem, the issue seems to be with directly inputting the password in the Notes app. Type it out somewhere else, and then copy paste it in.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 11:48 PM in response to Billyeee

There was something wrong with the software that it wouldn't accept my inputed password when I typed it directly into the password field. I decided to try something else. I typed my password into a browser bar (as a way to sanitize the keyboard output), and I cut the password from the browser bar, and pasted it into the password field in Notes, and it worked.

So anybody having this same problem, the issue seems to be with directly inputting the password in the Notes app. Type it out somewhere else, and then copy paste it in.

Notes app on MacBook not accepting the correct password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.