Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive IPhoto issue

I am currently running on macOS Catalina 10.15.4, however, I just found my old external hard drive, a My Passport for Mac. It is roughly 7 years old but I am hoping to access the photos on it but whenever I try it says "IPhoto isn't supported in this version" What are my options? I have attempted to download older versions of iPhoto onto my Mac, but each one requires a download of the previous one and eventually it seems to lead me to the conclusion that my Mac doesn't support an old enough version of IPhoto. I would hate to lose all of these pictures, what can I do?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 9:37 AM

iPhoto simply does not run at all on OS 10.15 Catalina or later.

You have two paths forward to try: One is simply migrate the library to Photos, which is done very simply: Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and point it at the iPhoto Library. it will do the rest.

If that fails.. what format is the disk? or what version of iPhoto created the Library?

There is also the last resort of recovering the original files from the library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 9:37 AM in response to Chris____________

iPhoto simply does not run at all on OS 10.15 Catalina or later.

You have two paths forward to try: One is simply migrate the library to Photos, which is done very simply: Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Choose Library' and point it at the iPhoto Library. it will do the rest.

If that fails.. what format is the disk? or what version of iPhoto created the Library?

There is also the last resort of recovering the original files from the library.

External hard drive IPhoto issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.