Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to turn on iCloud in Photos preferences when iCloud says your mac does not have enough disk space to handle current Photos volume in iCloud. Do not want to optimize iMac....want to keep full resolution pics on iMac.

Mistakenly turned off Photos in iCloud while following instructions for magazine procedure to correct multiple password requests to sign into iCloud. Using Retina 4K 21.5" 2017 iMac with Catalina 10.15.7 installed. Turning off iCloud for Photos means that when you turn it back on, you get a message that says that my iMac disk does not have enough space to accept download for all Photos in iCloud storage. The Photos in iCloud are the identical same Photos as the full res photos already currently on my iMac drive. The process will not proceed without forcing me to accept "optimization" on my drive which will convert all of my full res pics to thumbnail "optimized" size and possibly creating 2 photos for every photo.

Is there a workaround for this problem?

The only thing I can think of is to turn off my backup process, let the "optimization" process from iCloud complete (which takes a horrific amount of time - 600GB of Photos), and then copy the pics from my back up external drive to the iMac drive. Hoping that will not create 2 copies of every photo.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 10:05 AM

Hi

the process won't create duplicates. I can't say for certain that it will allow you to turn off optimise and will know there is enough space. That depends on the exact process photos uses to do that - which is not documented.

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 18, 2021 2:10 PM in response to laundry

That method will create two copies.

Two possibilities that might work.

1 - turn on optimise storage, let the sync take place (That is inevitable - turnign off iCloud triggers a complete resysnc), then see if you have enough space to turn off optimise storage. However, this is a gamble as to whether you have enough space or not.

2 - Your other option is to completely move the library to external storage with the disadvantage that you must have the external storage connected whenever you want to use photos. (if you are now short of space you will probably have to do this eventually anyway.

The external storage must be formatted APFS or MacOS extended (journaled) (preferred for a mechanical drive), and not be (or have been) used for time machine. It must have the 'ignore ownership" checkbox ticked. It should not be on a memory stick, SD or similar. It stands to reason that if you want any sort of reasonable performance it should be a fast drive with a fast connection.

It must also not be a network drive (a direct connection is required - eg USB or Thunderbolt)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Jan 19, 2021 6:20 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you Tony.....I have 250GB of space on my existing fusion drive. My Photos library is 405 GB. would like to try option 1to Optimize.....I assume the system/icloud will let me turn off Optimize after the first sync is complete and it will know there is enough space. I also assume that it will not create duplicates and will recognize the files are identical, even though the file size is different when I do the second step of turning Optimize back off and it re-syncs the full res size pics back to my computer? I tried this on my wife's computer 3 years ago and it would not work, but I only had 100GB to spare. Thanks again looking forward to your reply.

Jan 20, 2021 7:06 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi Tony

the processes you suggested to allow Optimize and then turn off Optimize worked. Turning on Optimize took 23 hours, but never copied thumbnail size photos from iCloud.....left my full res library intact. I was unsure this was true and turned Optimize back off - had to do anyway to allow full res downloads to upload to my computer. Sure enough, nothing happened....no re-sync took place. THANKS for your help!!

how to turn on iCloud in Photos preferences when iCloud says your mac does not have enough disk space to handle current Photos volume in iCloud. Do not want to optimize iMac....want to keep full resolution pics on iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.