Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reactivate an iPad

My son has an old iPad. He hasn't used it for 5 years. Now he wants to. However, he doesn't remember the password. Apple support is of absolutely no help. I am sure they think it is stolen and therefore refuse to help. Is there anyway he can get it operational again?

Thanks,

David

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 2:19 PM

David805 wrote:

I got a little more information. It is actually his wife's iPad. He said he reset it to factory specs and then tried to set it up. The reply was there was already a user with that id. Unfortunately his wife doesn't remember the ID (which is why I write everything down).
Thanks,
David

The error message that suggests the AppleID already exists is usually an indication that the owner is attempting, during setup, to create a new AppleID - instead of proceeding to input the existing AppleID username/password.

If the AppleID or associated password been forgotten (recall that the AppleID username appears to be known), they can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to one of the following:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

Unless you AppleID account has not been fully/correctly configured, or has been seriously neglected, recovery of the AppleID and password should not be difficult.

More information about recovery of your AppleID:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information about recovery of your AppleID password:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

When you recover access to your credentials, you would be well advised to log-in to your AppleID account from a web browser - and verify/update any email addresses and trusted telephone numbers:

https://appleid.apple.com

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 2:19 PM in response to David805

David805 wrote:

I got a little more information. It is actually his wife's iPad. He said he reset it to factory specs and then tried to set it up. The reply was there was already a user with that id. Unfortunately his wife doesn't remember the ID (which is why I write everything down).
Thanks,
David

The error message that suggests the AppleID already exists is usually an indication that the owner is attempting, during setup, to create a new AppleID - instead of proceeding to input the existing AppleID username/password.

If the AppleID or associated password been forgotten (recall that the AppleID username appears to be known), they can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to one of the following:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

Unless you AppleID account has not been fully/correctly configured, or has been seriously neglected, recovery of the AppleID and password should not be difficult.

More information about recovery of your AppleID:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information about recovery of your AppleID password:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

When you recover access to your credentials, you would be well advised to log-in to your AppleID account from a web browser - and verify/update any email addresses and trusted telephone numbers:

https://appleid.apple.com

Reactivate an iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.