Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get AirPort Extreme to "add to existing network"

I've just moved from the UK to the US and am trying to set up my AirPort Extreme that had been attached to an external hard drive back in the UK. I have a super fast internet here. During set up, I have found the device as a choice under the radar icon at the top of the screen. When I click on that, airport utility opens and it eventually recognizes my AE device. However, when I click "add to an existing network", it ignores this choice and defaults to "create a network". I followed through with this to see where it went, but the device would not connect to the internet and asked me to plug in an ethernet cable. I am fairly certain in the UK the device joined a network wirelessly without the need to connect with a cable. Any insight?

AirPort Extreme 802.11ac Gen1

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 3:34 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 18, 2021 3:49 PM in response to DavidY

The AirPort Extreme will not able to connect to a 3rd party WiFi router using only a wireless connection, if this is what you are trying to accomplish. You will need to use a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection in that situation.

The AirPort Extreme can only connect to another Apple AirPort router using a wireless connection.......because Apple designed their wireless connection option as a proprietary feature that will only work with other Apple routers.

The only exception......an AirPort Express can connect to a 3rd party WiFi network for use with AirPlay.

Jan 18, 2021 4:04 PM in response to DavidY

Yes, sort of.

The Ethernet connection must remain permanent, and you will need to set up the AirPort Extreme to "create a wireless network" that uses the exact same wireless network name and exact same password as your "main" router.

Make sure that the AirPort is located at least a few rooms away from the "main" router to avoid interference issues with two routers producing the same network in close proximity to each other.

You have two different routers, so WiFi devices may or may not automatically "switch" from one router to the other when they change locations around the house.

Warning......the USB port on the AirPort Extreme is an ancient USB 2.0 design that runs at about half speed. So, access to the hard drive is going to bring new meaning to the word "SLOW".

Best to not try to put anything like an audio library or image library on the hard drive. It is probably OK for regular data file storage.

Jan 18, 2021 4:04 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you Bob. Advice much appreciated about the slowness. Do you know any other more sensible way to connect an external hard drive so that it can be used wirelessly? I have two laptops that used to both use it for their backups, so a wired connection is rather impractical. I'm happy to simply get rid of the AE (it's certainly a few years old) and get something better.

Jan 18, 2021 4:21 PM in response to DavidY

Look for a Network Attached Storage device, also known as a NAS.

It will connect to your main router using an Ethernet connection, but you will be able to access the hard drive either by wireless or wired connections. Runs circles around a hard drive connected to an AirPort Extreme.

More info here: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-network-attached-storage/

Unable to get AirPort Extreme to "add to existing network"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.