Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excercise activity ring on wife's new Apple Watch SE is not correctly tracking exercise

I have a new Apple Watch Series 6 and my wife has a Apple Watch SE. Yesterday and today we both walked for an hour and selected the Outdoor Walk - Open Goal. My Apple Watch 6 exercise ring correctly logged the 1 hour walk, but my wife's Apple Watch SE exercise ring only showed 5 minutes. I verified that she correctly started and stopped logging the walk.

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 6:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 7:34 PM

See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Also, see the solution to:

apple watch series 5 activity recording n… - Apple Community

Also, the first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 7:34 PM in response to Cheetaux

See the "Make sure that you earn Move and Exercise credit" section in:

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch - Apple Support

You should also make sure your watch is calibrated:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy - Apple Support

Also, see the solution to:

apple watch series 5 activity recording n… - Apple Community

Also, the first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

If that doesn't help, the next steps would be to unpair and pair your watch again and restore from the backup just created. This deletes all temp and corrupted files and re-indexes the file system.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Set up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Feb 19, 2021 4:17 PM in response to Cheetaux

I am VERY UNHAPPY with the support I am getting from Apple on this issue. I have been talking with Apple Support for several weeks and basically they are saying that I have to live with it. In general, I've always been happy with my Apple purchases (three MacBooks, an iMac, a Mac mini, several iPads, Apple TV, and my Apple Watch Series 6, but I really regret buying the Apple Watch SE for my wife. I bought it for her to encourage her to get more exercise, but the watch is useless.

After both my wife and I walked for a little over 2 miles today for 55 minutes, my Apple Watch Series 6 logged 41 minutes of exercise, my wife's new Apple Watch SE (bought it on December 28) logged 4 minutes of exercise!

Below are my wife's activity rings from today's walk

Below shows my wife's workout after todays walk

Below is my activity for the same walk

Below is a summary of my workout

Feb 28, 2021 1:31 PM in response to Cheetaux

After a recent watch update, my activity stopped tracking the same way it had just before the update. I just got back from an hour long walk and got 19 minutes of activity. I’m tired of seeing the same articles from 2017 and 2019 suggesting that the problem is me and how hard I exercised in the answers. The same 3 mile circuit was mostly exercise before the recent update, now it is next to nothing.

This watch will go in a drawer unless Apple gets more transparent or at least looks into its black box programming and acknowledges that there might be a technical issue. Please, no need to share those aging help articles on what I should do. I’ve done that if possible. A lot of those old articles refer to features not on the current OS.

Excercise activity ring on wife's new Apple Watch SE is not correctly tracking exercise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.