Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview.app(11.0) can't send text to Services. Is this a bug?

Hi,

Recently I bought a new m1 mac and noticed that Preview.app(11.0) has an issue.

When I select a word on pdf in Preview.app and execute 'Services' -> 'Spotlight' in Context Menu, then nothing happens. The same problem occurs on other textual services, e. g. 'Make New Sticky Notes' within Preview.app. (Sticky opens and gets activated but doesn't receive any text.)

Opening the same pdf file and doing the same action in Safari, it works fine.

It seems that Preview.app itself can't send text to services. Is this an unreported bug?

I can't use my favourite third party dictionary app (EBMac) within the current version of Preview.app. It bothers me a lot.

I use:

macOS Big Sur(11.1)

Preview.app ver. 11.0 (1018.2)

Cheers.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 1:21 PM

Yes. The bug you describe is easy to reproduce.

Preview in Big Sur seems to have a number of new bugs. Unfortunately, Apple uses Preview and TextEdit as a way to "showcase" new developer interfaces. Since Apple releases new developer interfaces every year, they are re-writing these two apps every year.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 1:21 PM in response to matirium

Yes. The bug you describe is easy to reproduce.

Preview in Big Sur seems to have a number of new bugs. Unfortunately, Apple uses Preview and TextEdit as a way to "showcase" new developer interfaces. Since Apple releases new developer interfaces every year, they are re-writing these two apps every year.

Jan 20, 2021 12:32 PM in response to matirium

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, matirium!

We understand you're having some trouble with the Preview app when opening PDF. We'd be happy to help you address this.

Try doing the same procedure you describe within safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue happens there as well, check if there is an update for your dictionary app.

Let us know the results.

Have a great day!

Preview.app(11.0) can't send text to Services. Is this a bug?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.