Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictionary Shortcut Behaviour in Mail

I have macOS Ventura 13.2 installed with latest updates.

I often look up words in the Dictionary using either the "force click with one finger on a word" or the Shortcut Control+Command+D on a highlighted word.

Whilst composing a message in Mail, the above shortcut also works. However, when reading a message the shortcut does not work while the "force click with one finger on a word" does work.

Is there any setting in Mail which overrides the expected behaviour of Control+Command+D (Look Up in Dictionary)?

In System Settings ...

... there was no shortcut set in the Searching Service for "Look Up in Dictionary".

When I set up the service with the keyboard shortcut Control+Command+D this does not work in the Mail reading mode.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2023 2:36 AM

FWIW, Big Sur was the last version of macOS "command+control+D" worked in Mail. I assume Apple removed the command for some reason. I suppose it's possible a bug was introduced in Monterey.

You can send Apple feedback if you wish.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

5 replies

Dictionary Shortcut Behaviour in Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.