Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail search does not work anymore

after updating to macOS Ventura 13.0.1 search function in mail does not work anymore. the usual solutions (activating / deactivating macHD in spotlight, rebuilding the mail indexes by deleting the envelope files in the library ....) did not work. when I prompt a search phrase in the field in mail, nothing happens.... does anyone of you has an idea how to fix it?

I use a MacBook Air (2020) with an M1 chip an a 1 TB SSD with macOS Ventura 13.0.1.

Thank you!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 6, 2023 11:08 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jan 6, 2023 11:28 PM in response to al_ger

Hi al_ger!

Good question! It looks like you've already looked at the spotlight index, have you also checked Spotlight settings:

If searching doesn't find the right emails in Mail on MacOfficial Apple Support › guide › mail › mac

If so, can you test other applications to see if the search function is working? (Such as Finder, Spotlight Search, Notes, etc.)? Thanks!

Jan 7, 2023 12:14 AM in response to al_ger

Hey again! I’d recommend updating for sure as said if not already!

If the problem continues, I suppose knowing if the issue happens in a new user account and/or in safe mode occurs, although I know it started directly after updating the OS, I may try this personally:

First, I always keep a current backup of my data.

Quit all apps, open Finder.

While holding the Option Key, on the top menu click Go > Library.

Next, open Metadata > CoreSpotlight and delete the index.spotlightV3 folder.

Restart, I’d give it a day or so before testing.

Otherwise, if the issue continues, I’d boot to recovery mode:

For your Mac, shut it down. Press the power button and continue holding until you see Startup Options.

Click Options, enter your Mac password.

From recovery, first make sure your volumes are mounted:

Open Disk Utility, click what’s typically Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data, next click File > Mount, and enter your Mac password again, (You only need to do this if they volumes are greyed out, meaning FileVault is on).

Next, hit Disk Utility on the top menu > Quit Disk Utility.

Then on the top menu, hit Utilities > Terminal.

Once Terminal opens, type this command and press Return afterwards:

rm -rf /Volumes/*/.Spotlight*

Once done, you’ll see the standard bash#, but it should be quick, then restart.

Next, open Spotlight search (Command and the space bar) and type something to confirm it started indexing. It should, but then you should give it a full day to finish the job.

If you need to copy and paste the command, while in recovery, you can open Safari and log into your mail account.

Hope one of those do the job!

mail search does not work anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.