Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini 12 won’t pair with car via. Bluetooth

I followed all the directions for pairing. The car says Bluetooth is trying to connect but I get nothing from the phone. The phone is not in the list of devices, so obviously is not being picked up. I had no trouble with my IPhone 7.

The issue is I need it for driving directions as well as other things while on the road. I read about changing the name of the device but I don’t know how to do that. I have deleted the Bluetooth from the phone and turned off and on in the car several times. What’s the answer? Thanks.

Gee, the mini 12 isn’t even on the list of devices on this page!

iPhone

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 7:39 PM

See this, How to connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your car – Apple Support and also check the owner's manual for your vehicle to ensure you have cleared the car's Bluetooth and then put it into discovery/pairing mode.

5 replies

Jan 20, 2021 8:01 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks. I tried everything on the Apple Support site. I went to Mercedes dealer and they were able to get Bluetooth on the car to pick up the iphone by way of the usb port. However, when trying to connect the iphone to Bluetooth, got a message on car that it is incompatible with the phone. The Mercedes service person said there is no way to use for hands-free because of the incompatibility. That is unacceptable from Apple that we can't use in our cars! Apparently the new Car Play is only good for 2017 and newer cars. Seems quite discriminatory (as well as presenting a danger) of Apple not to fix this asap.

Jan 20, 2021 4:23 PM in response to marileefromalexandria

You made no mention in your original post that this had anything to do with CarPlay. What year Mercedes do you have? CarPlay was not introduced until 2015, and those were for connection via USB. If you connect the device to CarPlay via USB, it will disconnect Bluetooth, and you make calls via CarPlay while it is connected to the car's USB and the iPhone's lightning port.

I have a 2015 C-Class Mercedes, but it does not have CarPlay. I have no issues whatsoever connecting my iPhone 12 Pro to Bluetooth. I also was able to connect it to a 2010 C-Class loaner last month when I had mine serviced. So I'm not sure what the dealer explained, but it does not sound correct. You should not have any issues connecting to Bluetooth with the phone, and that has nothing to do with CarPlay.

Jan 20, 2021 6:27 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

That is very interesting as it doesn’t work for me with the 2012. If it works in your older/rental car, it should work in mine. Obviously, something Is wrong with the way the Bluetooth and iphone mini 12 are trying to pair. Since the Bluetooth says it is incompatible, I’m not sure where to go from here. Maybe shut everything down and try again. Thanks.

Jan 21, 2021 7:08 AM in response to marileefromalexandria

Yes, it does seem strange. I'm still curious about what you mention regarding CarPlay. A 2012 Mercedes would not have CarPlay, unless you installed a different radio head. The Mercedes Benz dealer should have a Concierge that is responsible for helping customers deal with issues like the phone. Also, they should be able to check to see if there is a Bluetooth issue with the car. They should also be able to tell you what version of Bluetooth there is and could assist Apple Support in helping diagnose the problem, since the iPhone 12 Mini has the latest version of the Bluetooth profile. I've seen other posts regarding older Mercedes, but not where they were unable to connect via Bluetooth and that there was a report that the phone was not compatible. I would use the Contact Support link at the top of the page here to contact Apple Support. Since your iPhone is new, you get 90 days of free telephone support.

Mini 12 won’t pair with car via. Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.