Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound recording not working on QuickTime using new Apple Macbook Air M1

I'm trying to use QuickTime to record my screen and audio and its not working. I get no audio on playback at all.

I've selected the built-in microphone from the drop down menu and ensured it is not muted by turning the recording volume up. I've also checked the sound settings in the System Preferences and it is turned on.

On both system preferences and quicktime, the screen does not glow / light up when I speak which tells me there must be a microphone issue. I've tested my speakers through spotify and they're working fine.

This isnt a hardware fault as I've used Zoom with this new laptop and people can hear me fine.

Help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 6:24 PM

i'm unsure if this will suit your needs, but you can have a look at Take a photo or record a video in Photo Booth on Mac

3 replies

Jan 19, 2021 3:01 PM in response to jastwe81

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Sound recording not working on QuickTime using new Apple Macbook Air M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.