Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 21.5 in 2017 is painfully slow

My computer has always been slow. I ran an EtreCheck a year ago but there didn't appear to be any major issues. It has 8gb of ram and assumed I just needed to upgrade. I just re-ran EtreCheck and it appears Im having major issues with the Hard Drive. States "Failing Hard Drive". Definitely need your guidance/help to resolve this issue. I have attached the report. Thank you in advance...

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 3:39 PM

Other than the fact that you have the slowest iMac offered by Apple at the time of purchase, 8 GB RAM and a 5400 rpm hard drive, I see nothing in your report that's really damaging. However, you should reboot more frequently, at least every over day.

Time since boot: About 28 days

This will clean out system and application temporary cache and swap files and will help the performance of your Mack.

Now, boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Also helpful would be to not have any apps loaded at launch via the System/Users & Groups/Login Items preference pane. Instead run those apps only when needed and then close them.

You could speed up the boot time, application and file opening and closing/saving time by using an external SSD to boot and run from. These external SSDs from MacSales.com (OWC) are excellent choices: OWC Envoy Pro EX - USB C or USB.

There's nothing you an do about increasing RAM as it's not upgradeable.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 3:39 PM in response to VictorVigh

Other than the fact that you have the slowest iMac offered by Apple at the time of purchase, 8 GB RAM and a 5400 rpm hard drive, I see nothing in your report that's really damaging. However, you should reboot more frequently, at least every over day.

Time since boot: About 28 days

This will clean out system and application temporary cache and swap files and will help the performance of your Mack.

Now, boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and then reboot normally.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Also helpful would be to not have any apps loaded at launch via the System/Users & Groups/Login Items preference pane. Instead run those apps only when needed and then close them.

You could speed up the boot time, application and file opening and closing/saving time by using an external SSD to boot and run from. These external SSDs from MacSales.com (OWC) are excellent choices: OWC Envoy Pro EX - USB C or USB.

There's nothing you an do about increasing RAM as it's not upgradeable.

iMac 21.5 in 2017 is painfully slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.