Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why I have been locked out of making changes to the system preferences since the Big Sur update?

Since I updated to "macOS Big Sur" a couple of days ago I can't make any changes to my security settings. If I click the lock it requires my login password which I obviously know otherwise I wouldn't be able to login to my mac. However, when I type my password required to make changes to things in system settings (e.g. Security and privacy) it acts as though I have inputted the wrong password.

As a result, I tried changing the system password slightly. Again, I could login just fine but it made no difference in changing the system preferences. I still can't access it and it must be triggered by this update as it worked fine before the update. How can I remove this update when the stupid system won't recognise my login password?

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 4:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Jan 20, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Barney-15E

I followed your the instructions to shut down the Mac, press and hold the power button for 10 secs then release the buttom and wait a few seconds before pressing the power button again. That seems to have worked. I also uninstalled a program called Little Snitch which was apparently not compatible with Big Sur, so I am wondering if that might have had something to do with it.

Anyway, thanks!

Why I have been locked out of making changes to the system preferences since the Big Sur update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.