Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD/SD itunes movies

Will someone please explain why some, not all, of my HD movies purchased from the itunes store will only play on my lower resolution(1600x900) secondary monitor in Windows 10 environment. The secondary monitor is connected to my HD video card via DVI. My primary higher resolution 3840 x 2400 monitor is connected via a superior cable HDMI. There is, after much research online, no logical reason I can find as to why itunes behaves this way. And before anyone offers advice, I have uninstalled and reinstall itunes 2x, restarted the pc and itunes, uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers and software, checked for the most recent version of itunes(12.11.0.26), and uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers for the monitors themselves. I have also tried the trick of ticking the box in Preferences -> Downloads -> "Download high-quality SD videos" as well as unchecking it.

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 6:13 PM

If anyone stumbles on this question and has the same issue, I've resolved this issue myself. Apple support was no help. So here is the answer to the riddle - iTunes will get confused about which is the primary and which is the secondary monitor. This will happen because of how video cards work. As you're looking at the back of your tower at your video card the primary will always be on the right hand side. In my situation, due to the lack of proper video cabling, I had my preferred secondary monitor plugged into the Primary port on the video card. For unknown reasons, iTunes version 12.11.0.26 disregards Windows 10 version 20H2's Primary/Secondary monitor settings. It is only concerned with which monitor is plugged into the primary port on the video card.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2021 6:13 PM in response to tsavidge1

If anyone stumbles on this question and has the same issue, I've resolved this issue myself. Apple support was no help. So here is the answer to the riddle - iTunes will get confused about which is the primary and which is the secondary monitor. This will happen because of how video cards work. As you're looking at the back of your tower at your video card the primary will always be on the right hand side. In my situation, due to the lack of proper video cabling, I had my preferred secondary monitor plugged into the Primary port on the video card. For unknown reasons, iTunes version 12.11.0.26 disregards Windows 10 version 20H2's Primary/Secondary monitor settings. It is only concerned with which monitor is plugged into the primary port on the video card.

HD/SD itunes movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.