Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

virus scan

How do I do a virus scan on 2019 macbook pro with Catalina? Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 9:14 AM

eloise47 wrote:

You can tell that I am flustered...
to finish that sentence...
I should've done first, and he had not sent an email in the last hour to us. I'm just concerned that I did something wrong.

In all honesty I would not be concerned. Yes it is good to be diligent.

Phishing & Other Suspicious Emails - Apple

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls ...

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 9:14 AM in response to eloise47

eloise47 wrote:

You can tell that I am flustered...
to finish that sentence...
I should've done first, and he had not sent an email in the last hour to us. I'm just concerned that I did something wrong.

In all honesty I would not be concerned. Yes it is good to be diligent.

Phishing & Other Suspicious Emails - Apple

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls ...

Jan 20, 2021 9:02 AM in response to eloise47

eloise47 wrote:

How do I do a virus scan on 2019 macbook pro with Catalina? Thank you!

Are you having an issue. Maybe you can say more...

Viruses are extremely rare to non-existent on Macs. Many confuse virus/malware/adware.

Your Mac is well protected in this regard:

macOS - Security - Apple https://www.apple.com/macos/security/

Apple Platform Security - Apple https://support.apple.com/guide/security/welcome/web

Third party AV is not recommended— it typically does nothing, and has proven to cause added issues to the macOS and competes directly with Apples own built in security.

Jan 20, 2021 9:50 AM in response to eloise47

The Internet is still the Wild West. In general you should presume that ANYTHING that comes over the Internet IS compromised, and IS out to get you.

NEVER click on links in emails. Manually navigate to the site's known address instead.

NEVER provide credit card or other personally-identifiable information -- or 'confirm' anything -- Unless YOU initiated the call to a publicly-available number/address. The "fraud department" (¿or is it a scammer?) does NOT need to to confirm ANYTHING. If THEY called YOU, they know who they are talking to.

virus scan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.