Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the photos app's display problem of macOS Big Sur

When I open the Photos app on my Mac, there will appear a black area behind the Photos window. The desktop background also doesn’t display properly, it is covered by large black areas, as shown in illustration. I don’t know what caused it. Only when the Photos app is closed will the desktop background return to normal display. I’m really looking forward to developers solving this problem.

Thank you very much!!

(Computer model: MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) System version: macOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69))

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 3:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 5:43 AM

Create a new user account and see if the issue also occurs in that new account. Let us know. This is important to discern if it is a system wide problem or specific to your account.

Also Please run Etrecheck from your normal account and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

This will give us information which may help figure out the cause of the problem.

FWIW this is the first time I have seen this which leads me to believe that it is something in your mac rather than a bug that would affect a lot of people. Otherwise we would surely have heard of it by now.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 5:43 AM in response to manatschal

Create a new user account and see if the issue also occurs in that new account. Let us know. This is important to discern if it is a system wide problem or specific to your account.

Also Please run Etrecheck from your normal account and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

This will give us information which may help figure out the cause of the problem.

FWIW this is the first time I have seen this which leads me to believe that it is something in your mac rather than a bug that would affect a lot of people. Otherwise we would surely have heard of it by now.

Jan 21, 2021 5:43 AM in response to manatschal

You might want to try AppleCare. That may be a better way to highlight the problem to the developer's.

I can't replicate what you are seeing, so the developers may have no idea this is a problem, or it could be isolated to something you have installed/your particular setup. I can only find one other report of the similar problem from when Big Sur was released.

Are you using multiple monitors? Are they set up to have separate spaces or extend into a single display?

I have two monitors connected to my Mini running Catalina and I see a similar think happen when I enter Time Machine. However, both displays are supposed to go black in Time Machine. My monitors are different shapes, and the desktop on the non-Time Machine has the cut off appearance you are showing, but no graphics tearing at the edges.

the photos app's display problem of macOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.