Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone as webcam on FaceTime?

I want to use my iPhone as a webcam with Face Time. I can do so with Zoom.

I mount the iPhone atop the monitor. I have the iPhone looking down at me. In Zoom I can see the other person on my monitor. This is good, because my monitor is so much larger than an iPhone screen.

I can use the iPhone as a webcam through an application named EpocCam. It is in the iPhone. (I mention the name of the application, because it works.)

When i open the Face Time application on my Mac, the only acknowledgment that it gives to EpocCam is it sees the application as microphone. The Mac Face Time does not recognize the video function of EpocCam.

Am I missing something with Face Time? Or is there some other application I can use to get the Mac Face Time to accept the iPhone as a webcam?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2021 12:59 PM

The elgato website blames Apple:

"EpocCam – Why is EpocCam Incompatible with FaceTime and Photobooth on macOS 10.14 Mojave and 10.15 Catalina? 

In macOS 10.4 Mojave, Apple built-in applications use hardened runtimes. Apps using hardened runtimes can not load third party plugins unless explicitly allowed by app developers. This means that third party camera drivers do not work with Apple apps.

"We are trying to find a solution to this, but at the moment there is nothing we can do about this issue."

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2021 12:59 PM in response to Tesserax

The elgato website blames Apple:

"EpocCam – Why is EpocCam Incompatible with FaceTime and Photobooth on macOS 10.14 Mojave and 10.15 Catalina? 

In macOS 10.4 Mojave, Apple built-in applications use hardened runtimes. Apps using hardened runtimes can not load third party plugins unless explicitly allowed by app developers. This means that third party camera drivers do not work with Apple apps.

"We are trying to find a solution to this, but at the moment there is nothing we can do about this issue."

iPhone as webcam on FaceTime?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.