Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external hard drive on Mac

How do I make my Toshiba hard drive work on my MacBook Pro without losing my data?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 5:52 PM

Welcome!

How is the Toshiba currently formatted? This Apple article shows what Windows disk formatting the Mac OS can read:

Format a disk for Windows computers in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If it has another Win format, you may not be able to use the drive on a Mac, as reformatting will erase the data.

Do you want to add files to the Toshiba from the Mac, or do your need to read Win files already on the Toshiba from the Mac? That makes a difference in how you work around this.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 5:52 PM in response to Antasticb23

Welcome!

How is the Toshiba currently formatted? This Apple article shows what Windows disk formatting the Mac OS can read:

Format a disk for Windows computers in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

If it has another Win format, you may not be able to use the drive on a Mac, as reformatting will erase the data.

Do you want to add files to the Toshiba from the Mac, or do your need to read Win files already on the Toshiba from the Mac? That makes a difference in how you work around this.

Using external hard drive on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.