Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XR Unable to Activate

I originally received the error that cellular failed to update. I followed the steps for correcting the problem listed on the iPhone and then the instructions from Apple Support website.

Here is the entire troubleshooting procedure after I tried the fixes as listed on Apple Support and the current status:

1. Rebooted iPhone three times - full shutdown and reboot.
  2. Removed sim card and rebooted.
  3. Tried a different sim card and checked sim card with another phone - problem is not the sim card.
  4. Opened iTunes, updated iTunes software and then connected phone.
  5. Backed up iPhone to iCloud. Backup didn't work to cloud.
  6. Backed up iPhone to desktop.
  7. Ran iPhone update from iTunes. iPhone up-to-date. Didn't fix the problem - same error. Reboot.
  8. Ran re-configure iPhone from iTunes.
  9. Attempted to configure phone from iPad. Failed.
  10. Attempted to configure phone manually. Here are the errors:
  • on Phone: Unable to Activate your iPhone. Learn more at apple.com/uk/support (this only leads me back into a loop of doing same things I have already done). "Shutdown" is only option.
  • on iTunes: The phone "iPhone" could not be activated because the activation information could not be obtained from the device. Disconnect you iPhone, make sure the SIM card is inserted properly, and if you see a SIM PIN, tap unlock to enter it, and reconnect your iPhone.

* Tried all of that, but get caught in the loop of getting nowhere.

iPhone XR

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 5:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 5:29 AM

Please look at this --> If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their apple ID.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 5:29 AM in response to elo07

Please look at this --> If you can't activate your iPhone - Apple Support

If you are the owner or the owner has shared all information with you then to open Activation Lock:- If it is Activation locked, read here --> Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Learn how to remove a device from a previous owner's account.

If you are not the owner and do not have the Apple ID and Password then there is no way that you can get into this iPhone unless the original owner shares the Apple ID and password with you. If you are lucky you can get into this iPhone if they (owner) accidentally remove the device from their apple ID.

iPhone XR Unable to Activate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.