Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu dropdown does not show year '2021' in Big Sur

In Catalina I would often when taking a screenshot click first on the date and time in the top left corner of my menu bar, this would produce a drop menu also containing the year. It would hold while taking the screenshot and was very useful when one would want to visually date it accurately.

Big Sur does not appear to do that, is there a way to produce it again or an equivalent solution.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 8:36 AM

9 replies

Jan 23, 2021 11:33 AM in response to Artdesign

Howdy,

I see what you see with Catalina

And yes, with Big Sur clicking on the Date brings up the Notification Center instead.

I tried modifying the com.apple.menuextra.clock.plist (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.menuextra.clock.plist)

but no matter what I did I could not make it display the year, and just restarting could reset the settings anyway.

The workaround I found is a free App, Mini Calendar which allows you to display a Menu Bar Clock with the year.

To clean it up, I "minimized" the macOS Menu Bar Clock and moved the Mini Calendar clock to the right on the Menu Bar.

(Move it by holding Command while you drag it around the Menu Bar)

Thus:

ivan

Jan 23, 2021 12:41 PM in response to dialabrain

dialabrain wrote:

My screen shots are automatically titled with time stamps.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/4e15190e-c34a-43b4-b95c-f57f68c96fcd

Thanks—That is the default yes.

Not my preferred when dealing with design & development and manipulating multiple images day in and day out— it is too much data, hard to read easily on the Desktop and requires a overly large grid layout to get to some of the stamp. I customized the plist.

Much easier to to see 1, 2, 3 etc. as the sequence. The info is still contained in the Info pane, I thought it was a horrible change to default some 2 or 3 macOS ago...somebody's brain storm idea but not practical for all work flows.

cheers !

Jan 23, 2021 11:54 AM in response to Artdesign

Artdesign wrote:

In Catalina I would often when taking a screenshot click first on the date and time in the top left corner of my menu bar, this would produce a drop menu also containing the year. It would hold while taking the screenshot and was very useful when one would want to visually date it accurately.
Big Sur does not appear to do that, is there a way to produce it again or an equivalent solution.

Correct does not work that way any more.

My date and time is in the right hand side of the menu bar...

Any screen shot you take—Command i opens the info pane and will show the complete time stamp.

You see it presented two different ways depending if the image is open or simply highlighted.

If you have a list/folder of images, simply hold the Option Command i In this way the Info pane will progress along with each new image (highlighted or open.)

Menu dropdown does not show year '2021' in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.