You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera constantly turns off during FaceTime call?

Since I have had my IPhone 11, whenever I’m on FaceTime my camera will randomly turn off. I purchased my phone early in 2020 and returned it and purchased a new one because I thought the first was defective but I’m having the same problem still. It happens every time I’m on FaceTime sometimes 2 or 3 time in one call. I’ve tried resetting my phone several times. Also a little more info, it happens when I’m just on FaceTime not using the phone in other ways so I’m not switching between apps that might use camera. Please Help because I’m ready to get rid of this iPhone as well.

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 5:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 12:04 PM

Hey Soniacarter,

We understand that you believe your camera is turning off randomly throughout FaceTime calls. We'd be happy to look into this with you.

To clarify, what indication do you have that this is occurring? Do you have any accessories connected to your iPhone when this occurs?

Is the camera just being paused for the other user or is something else happening? Does it come back on automatically or do you have to do something to make it?

Any further details you can provide to start isolating things further will go a long way in finding a solution.

Lastly, for more info on making FaceTime calls on your iPhone 11, check out: Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We look forward to helping you find out what's going on.

Take care!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2021 12:04 PM in response to Soniacarter

Hey Soniacarter,

We understand that you believe your camera is turning off randomly throughout FaceTime calls. We'd be happy to look into this with you.

To clarify, what indication do you have that this is occurring? Do you have any accessories connected to your iPhone when this occurs?

Is the camera just being paused for the other user or is something else happening? Does it come back on automatically or do you have to do something to make it?

Any further details you can provide to start isolating things further will go a long way in finding a solution.

Lastly, for more info on making FaceTime calls on your iPhone 11, check out: Use FaceTime with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

We look forward to helping you find out what's going on.

Take care!

Jan 25, 2021 5:19 PM in response to Soniacarter

Soniacarter,

Thanks for confirming that for us. It's normal for your iPhone to pause FaceTime calls if you're receiving another phone call or if you leave FaceTime to do other things such as checking messages, browsing Safari, etc.

When this happens, open your App Switcher and return to FaceTime to unpause the call. While paused the other user will still be able to hear audio, they just won't be able to see you. Returning to FaceTime should resolve this.

If you experience this behavior when this isn't expected to occur, then it'd be best to reach out to Apple Support for more help here:

Get Support

We hope this information helps out.

Take care!

Camera constantly turns off during FaceTime call?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.