Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac book pro connector has to be wiggled to charge my MacBook Pro sometimes Sometimes wiggling works other times it does not work. Any idea why

Can you tell me what is going on? Is it the cable or is it the charging port since the connection to the charging port appears to be loose

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 10:48 AM

There are two different kinds of power connectors in MacBook Pros.

The oldest is a magnetic "MagSafe" connector. It has five tiny gold contact pins in the port as well as the connector. When those get dirty or stuck in the compressed position, you can get intermittent current flow.

Portables: L-shaped MagSafe power adapter does not charge computer and LED indicator light does not illuminate - Apple Support

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

Staring in 2018, MBPs use a USB-C cable for charging that has no moving parts. First check for dirt in the port and the cable end. If you are connecting to the left-side ports, try using the right-side ports. This applies to newer MBPs:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2021 10:48 AM in response to Dtennox614

There are two different kinds of power connectors in MacBook Pros.

The oldest is a magnetic "MagSafe" connector. It has five tiny gold contact pins in the port as well as the connector. When those get dirty or stuck in the compressed position, you can get intermittent current flow.

Portables: L-shaped MagSafe power adapter does not charge computer and LED indicator light does not illuminate - Apple Support

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

Staring in 2018, MBPs use a USB-C cable for charging that has no moving parts. First check for dirt in the port and the cable end. If you are connecting to the left-side ports, try using the right-side ports. This applies to newer MBPs:

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

My Mac book pro connector has to be wiggled to charge my MacBook Pro sometimes Sometimes wiggling works other times it does not work. Any idea why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.