Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Junk mail notifications

I have iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14.3, for the past month or so, I’ve been getting notifications for junk mail. I have already followed the steps to stop this, however, it does not seem to be working.

Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data > iCloud > option already selected is Push > uncheck Junk

Sometime later I get a junk mail notification. Go back through the above steps only to find Junk is checked again. Or wait like 15 minutes go back through the above steps and Junk is checked again.

I never used to get junk notifications. Why now, i tried Googling this and the only thing I can find is the steps to stop the notifications, which clearly isn’t working.

it’s important to note that I have three iPads and MacBook Pro, I am not receiving the junk notifications on those devices, it is only the iPhone.

Are there different steps I should be taking or is this an iOS bug?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2021 2:03 PM

After playing with this for weeks, I’ve determined the problem and what has changed.

Under notifications Mail, there’s an option called Favorite Mailboxes. I’ve never seen this before, this I’ve never set it up, yet it was configured to display notifications.

It still makes no sense why I never received these notifications, but suddenly in December 2020 they started. I’m just going to assume something in an iOS update changed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2021 2:03 PM in response to MichaelB2019

After playing with this for weeks, I’ve determined the problem and what has changed.

Under notifications Mail, there’s an option called Favorite Mailboxes. I’ve never seen this before, this I’ve never set it up, yet it was configured to display notifications.

It still makes no sense why I never received these notifications, but suddenly in December 2020 they started. I’m just going to assume something in an iOS update changed.

Jan 25, 2021 11:10 AM in response to godivandcream

Hi godivandcream,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with iCloud mail and Junk mailbox Push Notifications on your iPhone. It sounds like you uncheck the option and it returns. This feature works correctly on your iPad.

Try turning off your iCloud email and turning it back on in Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud.

If that doesn't resolve it, try deleting the Mail app and redownloading it from the App Store: Remove apps from iPhone.

Let us know if the issue continues after that.

Have a fantastic day!

Jan 28, 2021 6:44 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Tried both removing account and deleting app. Problem still exists. When setting the account back up in both instances Junk is not checked. After a short period mail loads in the folders. I go back and review the accounts and sure enough Junk is checked. I unchecked and later I get a notification, check mail and the notification was for mail that went to the junk folder.

I just switched from Push to Fetch, I’ll see if that works.

Junk mail notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.