Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I already have a external drive connected to my iMac, can I use the same drive to backup my MacBook pro

I already have a external drive connected to my iMac, can I use the same drive to backup my MacBook pro

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 11:47 AM

The amount of data stored by Time machine keeps growing. So using one drive to cover two computers can make backups more complex when the drive nears fullness.

Time machine intends to consolidate older backups and remove redundancies when the drive gets nearly full, but this can result in an unbalanced amount of backups for the multiple systems being backed up. read

Time machine keeps:" below.

Some readers suggest the drive should be partitioned into two Volumes, one for each system, to maintain fairness. You need to do this before a lot of data is saved, because re-partitioning a drive with data already saved often erases that drive (as a side effect).

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2021 11:47 AM in response to jkcook38

The amount of data stored by Time machine keeps growing. So using one drive to cover two computers can make backups more complex when the drive nears fullness.

Time machine intends to consolidate older backups and remove redundancies when the drive gets nearly full, but this can result in an unbalanced amount of backups for the multiple systems being backed up. read

Time machine keeps:" below.

Some readers suggest the drive should be partitioned into two Volumes, one for each system, to maintain fairness. You need to do this before a lot of data is saved, because re-partitioning a drive with data already saved often erases that drive (as a side effect).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.