Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I backup mi iMac and my MacBook Air using the same external drive?

how do I backup (Time Machine) both my iMac and my MacBook Air using the same external drive?

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2020 9:11 AM

Hello bsheerz,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand you want to know if you can back up both your Macs using the same external drive. We're happy to help!

You can backup both your Macs using the same external drive if you wish. We are providing you with the article for backing up your Macs using Time Machine.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2020 9:11 AM in response to bsheerz

Hello bsheerz,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand you want to know if you can back up both your Macs using the same external drive. We're happy to help!

You can backup both your Macs using the same external drive if you wish. We are providing you with the article for backing up your Macs using Time Machine.

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Nov 24, 2020 9:19 AM in response to bsheerz

Although you can have two different backups on one external drive, my personal opinion is that you can avoid any possible glitches by simply partitioning the external into two partitions. Name each one for the device it contains ("iMac backup" and "MBA bakcup") and you will get two icons on your desktop. That way, they each have their "own space".

Having said all of that, I need to add: it is very bad practice to have all of your backups on the same drive. If the drive fails (and they all will sooner or later), you will have lost all the backups. I have 5 different external drives and at least 2 backups of everything I have on different drives.

Nov 24, 2020 9:22 AM in response to bsheerz

Not a very wise decision, why.... simple! All hard disks fail, when is the magic question and is impossible to answer. When the drive dies it would die with backups to 2 computers, why would you risk that to save a few $$. Do yourself a BIG favor and buy a high quality EHD for the 2nd computer and use it for TM.

Experienced users on these forums recommend https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro

Nov 24, 2020 9:29 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly consider taking your advice. One thing I have not quite understood about Time Machine and that is: does TM backup only the files I have created and stored on the machine or does it also backup the system/image in order that I may restore the whole set up in the event of a machine fail? Thanks again.

Nov 24, 2020 10:11 AM in response to bsheerz

Time Machine backs up everything on the computer. The first back up it does is to backup the whole drive. All backups after the first one are for all updated or changed files. That means if you change a file (say for the sake of argument an Excel file) it will save the updated version and also have the original version of the Excel file too. In addition, if you upgrade Mac OS it will have both the original version from the original TM backup and the updated version(s).

how do I backup mi iMac and my MacBook Air using the same external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.