Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to place phone call from HomePod

I am not able to place phone calls using HomePod. When I say Hey Siri, call xxxxx, Siri responds with “Before I can help you with that you’ll have to update your information in Siri settings on your iPhone”. I have enabled Personal requests on all of my HomePods and I see nothing relevant in Siri settings on my iPhone. Any ideas as to what’s wrong?

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 2:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 9:17 AM

I called Apple Support and the solution was to turn off Personal Requests for both sets of Pods, then turn Personal Requests back on again and then restart both pairs of HomePods. This fixed the problem and I can now use the HomePods to place calls. During the call, it came up that my wife and I share the same AppleID to allow us to share the iCloud Photo Library. He said that Apple does not recommend sharing the same ID and this is why I am unable to invite my wife to join My Home in the Home App. Not sure of the ramifications of this but it may explain why I haven't been able to get Intercom working and why Siri doesn't recognize our different voices. Ironic, because it was Apple that recommended sharing the same ID to facilitate sharing photos but that was several years ago. I'll have to think about how to best share photos if we aren't on the same ID.

Edit: Turns out Intercom does work now since resetting the HomePods. The function I cannot use is Multiuser because we share the same AppleID.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 9:17 AM in response to Bob Reynolds

I called Apple Support and the solution was to turn off Personal Requests for both sets of Pods, then turn Personal Requests back on again and then restart both pairs of HomePods. This fixed the problem and I can now use the HomePods to place calls. During the call, it came up that my wife and I share the same AppleID to allow us to share the iCloud Photo Library. He said that Apple does not recommend sharing the same ID and this is why I am unable to invite my wife to join My Home in the Home App. Not sure of the ramifications of this but it may explain why I haven't been able to get Intercom working and why Siri doesn't recognize our different voices. Ironic, because it was Apple that recommended sharing the same ID to facilitate sharing photos but that was several years ago. I'll have to think about how to best share photos if we aren't on the same ID.

Edit: Turns out Intercom does work now since resetting the HomePods. The function I cannot use is Multiuser because we share the same AppleID.

Unable to place phone call from HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.