Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall OS X EL CAPITAN

I bought a refurbished macbook pro, think it's from around 2009. I'm trying to reinstall mac os, entered my mac ID etc, but I get a message saying 'this item is temporarily unavailable'. Please help

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 3:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 8:00 PM

Unless your AppleID previously "purchased" that version of macOS you will not be able to reinstall it. You can try booting the laptop using Command + Option + R to see if it will allow you to install the OS from the online installer instead of local recovery mode. There is a slight chance you may be able to change the system date and time to a date within 2017 since you may be accessing the old installer with an expired security certificate.

If this does not work, then if you can boot this laptop or if you have access to another Mac that is compatible with macOS 10.11 El Capitan, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Otherwise you will need to purchase the retail version of an OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD. Apple no longer sells this DVD so you will need to find a used DVD online. Keep in mind you need the retail version since a machine specific version (gray disc) will not work.

Edit: As I submitted my post I realized that you said the model was from "about 2009". I need the exact model of your laptop to confirm what options you have available. I made this post assuming you had a MBPro (mid-2009) model. You can get this information by clicking on the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac" or by entering your serial number here or here.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2021 8:00 PM in response to Wsudama

Unless your AppleID previously "purchased" that version of macOS you will not be able to reinstall it. You can try booting the laptop using Command + Option + R to see if it will allow you to install the OS from the online installer instead of local recovery mode. There is a slight chance you may be able to change the system date and time to a date within 2017 since you may be accessing the old installer with an expired security certificate.

If this does not work, then if you can boot this laptop or if you have access to another Mac that is compatible with macOS 10.11 El Capitan, then you can create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Otherwise you will need to purchase the retail version of an OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD. Apple no longer sells this DVD so you will need to find a used DVD online. Keep in mind you need the retail version since a machine specific version (gray disc) will not work.

Edit: As I submitted my post I realized that you said the model was from "about 2009". I need the exact model of your laptop to confirm what options you have available. I made this post assuming you had a MBPro (mid-2009) model. You can get this information by clicking on the Apple menu and selecting "About this Mac" or by entering your serial number here or here.

Feb 11, 2021 5:38 PM in response to Wsudama

Sorry I was never notified that you had updated this thread.

In addition to my suggestions in my previous post you can also purchase a used copy of the retail version of the OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD installer. You need the retail version not the gray system specific version. Apple no longer sells this DVD so a used DVD is your only option. Once you have OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard installed and completely updated, then you can upgrade to macOS 10.11 El Capitan by using the information in my previous post to access the macOS 10.11 installer.

Reinstall OS X EL CAPITAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.