Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID isn't working on MacBook Pro

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to the OS Big Sur and after restarting my MacBook Pro my Touch ID wasn't working. I shut down my MacBook and then deleted the old fingerprint ID and tried to add a new fingerprint and I couldn't. Then I restarted my Mac book and then tried to add my fingerprint ID again but it won't prompt me to go through the step of capturing my fingerprint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 6:14 PM

ket19_ wrote:

I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to the OS Big Sur and after restarting my MacBook Pro my Touch ID wasn't working. I shut down my MacBook and then deleted the old fingerprint ID and tried to add a new fingerprint and I couldn't. Then I restarted my Mac book and then tried to add my fingerprint ID again but it won't prompt me to go through the step of capturing my fingerprint. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If this is a Intel Mac (does not apply to M1 SoC)

Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2021 6:14 PM in response to ket19_

ket19_ wrote:

If this is a Intel Mac (does not apply to M1 SoC)

Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Touch ID isn't working on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.