Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I delete unwanted WiFi from Showing up in My List

I need to delete certan WiFis showing up under my WiFi icon.

Reason: Offensive, often vulgar and explicit WiFi names have become "a thing". Another one are threatening or racist wifi names. They are used to be seen and to bully unsuspecting people near-by.

Where is the function to delete these names from available WiFis under the WiFi icon?

Since I never logged on to them, they can not be deleted by going into settings - network - advanced.

Apple deleted my thread already once, without acknowledging the problem. PCs have an option to "blacklist" those names and make them not show up.

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 6:06 PM

Zubsy wrote:

Reason: Offensive, often vulgar and explicit WiFi names have become "a thing". Another one are threatening or racist wifi names. They are used to be seen and to bully unsuspecting people near-by.

Where is the function to delete these names from available WiFis under the WiFi icon?
Since I never logged on to them, they can not be deleted by going into settings - network - advanced.

Apple deleted my thread already once, without acknowledging the problem. PCs have an option to "blacklist" those names and make them not show up.

I do not remember this feature in Catalina however maybe some progress in Big Sur at least— you can spin the carrot to hide the Networks...

You can submit your feedback about this is issue/feature

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 6:06 PM in response to Zubsy

Zubsy wrote:

I do not remember this feature in Catalina however maybe some progress in Big Sur at least— you can spin the carrot to hide the Networks...

You can submit your feedback about this is issue/feature

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jan 25, 2021 4:48 AM in response to Zubsy

If you find threatening or racist names, then you should attack the problem at its

origin:

1. get the BSSID [alt] + Wi-Fi drop down menu down to the unwanted name,
  2. file a complaint to the police about what is an unacceptable communication visible

to you and to all your neighbours, perhaps even in the street.

An hiding function would be a lie. The name would still be visible by all your neighbours.

Don't buy a lie in such a field.

Jan 23, 2021 9:09 PM in response to Zubsy

That PC option to stop showing certain networks sounds like a nice thing to have. After looking into this a bit more, unfortunately I don't see a way to do that with a Mac.

I see one or two similarly named networks in my neighborhood, but I think the best thing is to resolve to simply ignore them and refuse to give them the power to offend you.

Jan 23, 2021 9:19 PM in response to Zubsy

Zubsy Said:

"How Can I delete unwanted WiFi from Showing up in My List I need to delete certan WiFis showing up under my WiFi icon. Reason: Offensive, often vulgar and explicit WiFi names have become "a thing". Another one are threatening or racist wifi names. They are used to be seen and to bully unsuspecting people near-by.[...]"

-------

Holding Accountable:

Is that at a school? If this is on the premises of a school (i.e. college), then you may want to contact the Web Master, seeing if anything can be done about this. Elsewise, just blow it off, and let it be.

Jan 24, 2021 5:33 PM in response to Zubsy

There is no way that I know of to block WIFI names that show as available "under the WiFi icon." The list is the result of your Mac scanning for available networks. You said PCs have an option to blacklist WIFI network names but I don't know of any similar capability on Macs. Even if you could, you would ultimately be engaging in a frustrating version of "whack-a-mole" because you have no control over what other people name their WIFI networks; as soon as you would block some, others are likely to appear.

Jan 25, 2021 8:12 AM in response to daniel Azuelos

Daniel Azuelos Said:

"[...]An hiding function would be a lie. The name would still be visible by all your neighbours.

Don't buy a lie in such a field."

--------

People Hide SSIDs:

That's not a lie - not if you chose not to broadcast the SSID. So, you bring up a good point - maybe there are more out there, than the OP knows about. So, unless they broadcast their SSID - you're not going to see it.

How Can I delete unwanted WiFi from Showing up in My List

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.