Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Graphics card metal support bar "error" -- Mojave installation

Just been trying to do a clean install of Mojave on a 5,1.

It already has Mojave installed, I just want to to a bare bones install to trouble shoot another issue.

When I start the installer I get an error message about the metal support

the graphics card is full bolted down at the rear of the machine at the PCI card slot output, and as far as I can tell the little flip/flop support bar is moving back and forwards correctly.

I have not taken the mainboard out yet to check behind the board..but guessing that there is a micro switch and some some of hardware to detect this metal support bar..

Why the heck that should be relevant to the installation of the OS I have no idea..

But before I rip the computer totally apart to check behind the board, does this metal support bar have some hardware detection that could have failed?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 1:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 2:25 AM

Metal support is not a physical thing like some sort of bracing for the card. 'Metal' API is

the firmware/ software installed on the graphics card which provides graphics acceleration so image,

games etc transition smoothly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

If you already have Mojave installed, click on top left of your screen About This Mac and click on System Report

go to Hardware > Graphics/ Display look down the list and see if your graphics card has 'Metal' support.

This is from mine.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 2:25 AM in response to Neil Paisnel

Metal support is not a physical thing like some sort of bracing for the card. 'Metal' API is

the firmware/ software installed on the graphics card which provides graphics acceleration so image,

games etc transition smoothly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

If you already have Mojave installed, click on top left of your screen About This Mac and click on System Report

go to Hardware > Graphics/ Display look down the list and see if your graphics card has 'Metal' support.

This is from mine.

Jan 24, 2021 2:44 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Ah Thanks

Just saved me a load of work looking for a stuck microswitch !

Did waste 3-4 hours yesterday though thanks to Apple and their dreadful use of the English Language!

The phrase ‘metal support’ instantly makes you think of a physical device.... i won’t type what I actually think of them right now or my post will be deleted !

Yes, Mojave installed, and ‘Supported’ is there next to the Graphics card.

NVIDIA GeForceGTX780 3Gb

Runs fine with no CUDA driver installed. CUDA keeps popping up saying needs an update... but then says already updated. That seems to be well documented now I look up a fix for that.

Thought I’d try a DVD install off an old Snow Leopard DVD... but it wont boot from DVD... either using ‘C’ or Alt key.

tried at least 5 DVD’s now.

So either Apple have disabled DVD boot, when earlier 10.12 Update did a firmware upgrade or DVD drive shot.

Wanted to go back to El Cap to use iPhoto as screen saver source again.

Jan 24, 2021 4:47 AM in response to Neil Paisnel

You cannot use the original OEM grey disks that came with your Mac Pro 3.1 to

install on another mac of any kind, the grey install disks are machine specific.

They will only ever install on a Mac Pro 3.1. And the OS they would install

would be Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. I have a Mac Pro 3.1.

The MacPro 5.1 should have came with its own grey install disks that would

probably install Mac OS X Leopard or Mac OS X Snow Leopard depending on

which year your Mac Pro 5.1 is.

I do not get repeated requests to update the Cuda drivers, Apple and

Nvidia are still in a strop with each other, Nvidia can provide updates

but Apple refuse to sign them so they can be installed.

Graphics card metal support bar "error" -- Mojave installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.