Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac restarts randomly, screen looks weird and doesn't work

Hi all my 27inch imac (2011) began restarting randomly after which the screen looks very odd with strange graphics - this problem cropped up recently and has caused me to reinstall the system software many times, but no joy. I've attached an etrecheck report below; any ideas?

Thanks James

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 9:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 9:32 AM

Hi James Fraser,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

I have reviewed your EtreCheck report, and you have a runaway process, and your SSD might be having trouble. Go to Activity Monitor (Finder > Go > Utilities > Activity Monitor) and see if there is a listing for a process using a lot of your CPU.

When you say you've reinstalled, does that include an erase first?

Have you tried running First Aid? How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Have you tried an Apple Diagnostic? Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Have you tried a SMC reset? How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

And have you tried a PRAM reset? Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Let me know!

Cheers,

Jack

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 9:32 AM in response to James Fraser

Hi James Fraser,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

I have reviewed your EtreCheck report, and you have a runaway process, and your SSD might be having trouble. Go to Activity Monitor (Finder > Go > Utilities > Activity Monitor) and see if there is a listing for a process using a lot of your CPU.

When you say you've reinstalled, does that include an erase first?

Have you tried running First Aid? How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Have you tried an Apple Diagnostic? Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Have you tried a SMC reset? How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

And have you tried a PRAM reset? Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Let me know!

Cheers,

Jack

Jan 24, 2021 11:18 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack

thanks for getting back so quickly. In answer to your points; yes I've erased and reinstalled, even tried to convert the drive back to Mac OS Journalled type but no luck.

Yes I've tried First Aid in disk utility in recovery mode - I check show all devices and it can only run First Aid on the top level - not container disk or the install part of the disk

Can't get Apple Diagnostics to work on this iMac - I think it's too old?

Yes tried SMC and PRAM resets

Can't see anything using a lot of CPU in Activity Monitor - but it still says 99% in idle?

Hmm, thanks for your help Jack - maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

James

Jan 24, 2021 11:31 AM in response to James Fraser

Looking at your EtreCheck report in collaboration with what you’re saying, it is possible that your SSD is failing. EtreCheck says it should be performing better, and you’ve already done everything a user can do to attempt to fix the Mac. However, considering the weird graphics issue, you may also have a GPU/Logic Board Problem. Either way, there’s definitely something going on, most likely with hardware.

Cheers,

Jack

iMac restarts randomly, screen looks weird and doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.