Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Thuderbolt Display

I have just updated to Big Sur RC 2 anand PRM reset and even unplugged the monitor d Thuderbolt display works but Camera and USB Port no longer work. I have the same issue with RC 1 but one of the beta versions did work but it is dead again.

I have tried SMC Reset, NVRAM and PRAM and it start to work then disconnects. The display is no longer found in preference for sound - only the internal speakers

Mac Pro, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 10:16 AM

Hi rbtaylornva,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I understand your recent trouble with your Thunderbolt Display. Based on the data given, it sounds like the Thunderbolt Display might be the cause of the issue; but first, have you tried unplugging the Thunderbolt Display and trying again? Have you tried using other ports on your Mac?

This guide may also help you - Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support and If a Thunderbolt device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 10:16 AM in response to rbtaylornva

Hi rbtaylornva,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I understand your recent trouble with your Thunderbolt Display. Based on the data given, it sounds like the Thunderbolt Display might be the cause of the issue; but first, have you tried unplugging the Thunderbolt Display and trying again? Have you tried using other ports on your Mac?

This guide may also help you - Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support and If a Thunderbolt device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,

Jack

Jan 24, 2021 1:31 PM in response to Jack-19

Jack

I ended up switching ports on the Mac Pro to another display port and it appears to be working now. It appears of the 6 ports only certain ports are capable of working with the display bus 0, 2 on the right side ports the three ports on the left none work at all. so 2 out of 6 ports work at this point.

Appreciate the recommendation - at least the display is working at the moment but doe into explain why all of my ports on the Mac Pro are not working since upgrading to Big Sur.

Big Sur Thuderbolt Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.