Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I hook up a Netgear extension to the maim apple router we have hooked up

Can I hook up a Netgear extension to the maim apple router we have hooked up?

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 11:47 AM

Yes and no.

Yes, if the Netgear extender has an Ethernet port and you set up a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection from the Netgear extender back to the Apple router.

No, if you are asking if the Netgear extender can connect to the Apple router using only a wireless connection and extend the network that way.......since Apple designed their "extend" feature to only work with other Apple routers.

If you must use wireless to extend the network, look for a refurbished or used AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme on eBay.com. The downside to setting thing up this way is that there will be a loss of at least half of the potential speed on the network. So, the network will have greater "range", but it will be a slower network.

That still might be OK if you don't mind slower downloads from the Internet.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 11:47 AM in response to Papa_Kase03

Yes and no.

Yes, if the Netgear extender has an Ethernet port and you set up a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection from the Netgear extender back to the Apple router.

No, if you are asking if the Netgear extender can connect to the Apple router using only a wireless connection and extend the network that way.......since Apple designed their "extend" feature to only work with other Apple routers.

If you must use wireless to extend the network, look for a refurbished or used AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme on eBay.com. The downside to setting thing up this way is that there will be a loss of at least half of the potential speed on the network. So, the network will have greater "range", but it will be a slower network.

That still might be OK if you don't mind slower downloads from the Internet.

Can I hook up a Netgear extension to the maim apple router we have hooked up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.