Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing tabs in Safari

When are Apple going to do something about disappearing tabs. I thought the worst of the problem had disappeared but twice in the last 24 hours I've lost all open tabs again. Is this double window really usefull/useable on a tablet? I suspect that as you close or put the pad down you unwittingly create one of these silly extra windows and put it full screen. Then when you open again all you have is the one tab and no "merge all windows". Did any users really request this "feature".

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 3:37 AM

Your recent post on this topic was answered - and resources were provided that attempted to provide comprehensive explanation of iPadOS Safari’s advanced features and functionality.

Please remember, we’re all end users, just like you. Where possible, the majority of volunteers here make genuine attempts to assist others with their difficulties. I recall that your previous response to help and suggestions, in context of this issue, was less than “enthusiastic” towards the community contributors that were genuinely trying to provide practical help.

I certainly recognise that a misplaced or accidental “tap” within the iPadOS dynamic action menus can have unexpected consequences - some of which, for Safari, can result in apparently lost tabs or windows. Many of these situations are recoverable - others less so.

When understood, the advanced features of iPadOS Safari work very well and consistently. The Split Screen and Slide-over views are useful in many cases, in particular when working between two different Apps. For example, when drafting a document, you might need to look-up a web-resource - or perhaps need to quickly access a Note or other document.

Larger screen devices can simultaneously display a Split-screen (two instances of a one App - or two different Apps) and a Slide-over view of a third App/instance. This windowing capability may not be needed by many iPad users, but these functions are useful for some.

With the release of iPadOS13, Apple introduced additional functionality that exploits the capabilities of larger screen devices, accommodating those users with more advanced needs.

For those users who prefer the simpler functionality of earlier iOS versions for iPad, multi-tasking features of iPadOS can be easily disabled:

Settings > Home Screen & Dock > Multitasking > Allow multiple Apps - set to OFF

Disabling multitasking won’t resolve difficulties associated with a misplaced “tap” in an action menu, but does remove the UI-complexities associated with multiple App instances and Safari “spaces” (windows).

Your description of immediate difficulties might suggest that you are perhaps having problems with managing multiple Safari Windows. As such, I believe that your immediate problem would be best addressed by disabling multitasking on your iPad.

I sincerely hope this advice proves to be helpful to you.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 3:37 AM in response to cloth ears

Your recent post on this topic was answered - and resources were provided that attempted to provide comprehensive explanation of iPadOS Safari’s advanced features and functionality.

Please remember, we’re all end users, just like you. Where possible, the majority of volunteers here make genuine attempts to assist others with their difficulties. I recall that your previous response to help and suggestions, in context of this issue, was less than “enthusiastic” towards the community contributors that were genuinely trying to provide practical help.

I certainly recognise that a misplaced or accidental “tap” within the iPadOS dynamic action menus can have unexpected consequences - some of which, for Safari, can result in apparently lost tabs or windows. Many of these situations are recoverable - others less so.

When understood, the advanced features of iPadOS Safari work very well and consistently. The Split Screen and Slide-over views are useful in many cases, in particular when working between two different Apps. For example, when drafting a document, you might need to look-up a web-resource - or perhaps need to quickly access a Note or other document.

Larger screen devices can simultaneously display a Split-screen (two instances of a one App - or two different Apps) and a Slide-over view of a third App/instance. This windowing capability may not be needed by many iPad users, but these functions are useful for some.

With the release of iPadOS13, Apple introduced additional functionality that exploits the capabilities of larger screen devices, accommodating those users with more advanced needs.

For those users who prefer the simpler functionality of earlier iOS versions for iPad, multi-tasking features of iPadOS can be easily disabled:

Settings > Home Screen & Dock > Multitasking > Allow multiple Apps - set to OFF

Disabling multitasking won’t resolve difficulties associated with a misplaced “tap” in an action menu, but does remove the UI-complexities associated with multiple App instances and Safari “spaces” (windows).

Your description of immediate difficulties might suggest that you are perhaps having problems with managing multiple Safari Windows. As such, I believe that your immediate problem would be best addressed by disabling multitasking on your iPad.

I sincerely hope this advice proves to be helpful to you.

Jan 25, 2021 4:14 AM in response to cloth ears

Trust Pilot?

The document that I previously linked may provide useful insight into the difficulties that you have experienced. With the benefit of understanding new functionality, many issues that you’ve described can be avoided; should the unexpected happen, you’ll be armed with some useful recovery strategies.

I am in the process of updating the document with new/additional information - and hope to publish the update soon. In the meantime, in case you have mislaid the link - and for the benefit of other readers who may come across this thread - I’ll repeat it here; if bookmarked, you can easily return to it should you need to do so.

iPadOS - Safari - Lost Windows, Lost Tabs… - Apple Community

I genuinely hope this information is helpful to yourself - and to other readers who may be experiencing difficulties.

Jan 25, 2021 4:32 AM in response to LotusPilot

Very useful document, I did actually read it all but it did remind me of the character in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy who had to sit very still to listen to his radio as it was controlled by hand gestures. I'm sure some people find these features useful but unfortunately I'm not one of them, very happy now they're disabled.

My apologies on the brain slippage with your name.

Jan 25, 2021 4:46 AM in response to cloth ears

The seminal works of Douglas Adams (sadly departed), HH2G and subsequent volumes, are amongst my favourite works of contemporary S.F. 🙂

Returning to frustrations with iPadOS - my own personal biggest gripe with the new OS are the critical actions within the Action Menus that, when they appear, are helpfully highlighted in red text. Items highlighted in red text only appear in prescribed circumstances (recall that Action Menus are dynamic) - and being highlighted in red text, have serious consequence...

If you touch any one of the menu items highlighted in red text, the associated action is instant - with no acknowledgement from the user being prompted - with no opportunity to confirm/cancel the action; there is direct “undo” action.

If only the UI provided an option to require that these critical actions required a second tap to confirm - or cancel - some issues borne of an accidental “touch” could be avoided... 🙂

Jan 25, 2021 6:20 AM in response to LotusPilot

Agree with your last point, a very sensible suggestion but I have to point out that when I'm asked "Are you sure" I tend to snort and mutter "off course I'm sure, just get on and DO it". Forgetting the times it has saved me from doing something silly.

It must be difficult being an OS writer, you have to add stuff because

a, the company want whizzy new bits they can shout about or

b, some customers want to be able to do an ifinity of things by waving their hands

whilst some like me just want to do basic stuff without too much hassle.

Losing tabs in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.