Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

More than one group of tabs in Safari?

I observed a strange phenomenon. We all know Safari with a number of tabs. We also know that you can use split mode in safari. Imagine that you have a number of tabs open and that you put one of these tabs in split view to the right.

Then you make this tab larger by pulling the edge to the left until it covers the whole screen. ... Help! Where are all your tabs gone now?

Well you can get them back by using the shift-up from the app bar on the bottom, then you will get another safari window on the side of your screen..

But what now happens, at least with me, is that you get the possibility of a choice of more than one group of tabs from safari. ??? I can find no description of this phenomenon anywhere on the net. And the interesting thing is that it seems possible to keep more than one group of Safari-tabs somewhere in the iPad available. I found this by accident and I don’t have a clue on how to really control it,

Anyone have an idea? See picture below.

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jul 7, 2020 11:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 10:31 AM

You may find this article to be helpful in understanding some of the frequent difficulties encountered by users new to iPadOS Safari - along with some of Safari’s more esoteric features and quirks:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002077

Insofar as possible, I hope to have distilled most of the frequent problems reported here - and documented procedures, strategies [and where needed] some useful workarounds.

I that you find this to be helpful in resolving any issues that you may be experiencing.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 10:31 AM in response to Jizkid

You may find this article to be helpful in understanding some of the frequent difficulties encountered by users new to iPadOS Safari - along with some of Safari’s more esoteric features and quirks:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002077

Insofar as possible, I hope to have distilled most of the frequent problems reported here - and documented procedures, strategies [and where needed] some useful workarounds.

I that you find this to be helpful in resolving any issues that you may be experiencing.

Jul 8, 2020 11:04 AM in response to QuickPost

i know how to use split view and slide over, that is not the discussion, and is a piece of cake.

The core is that when getting up the slide over from the bottom using the safari icon, I see a slide over window with multiple instances of safari including versions of safari that contain multiple tabs representing a safari session from some time earlier.

What I don’t know is how to control this. Up to know it is more or less “by accident”. Going to look now at the comment of LotusPilot.

oh' and by the way, I am an iPad/iPhone user since iPad 1 and iPhone 3. But still some things surprise me. 😃

thanks.

Jul 8, 2020 11:54 AM in response to LotusPilot

Yes LotusPilot,

that was exactly the problem. I was not consciously aware of the existence of running instances and was not able to control them, i did expect that something was going on like that, but could not find the controls. Also searching on the net die not reveal people who knew what wás going on. Learnt a lot in the past 15 minutes. Thanks.

The only thing that still resists is the multi touch moving of tabs into a new split view. That does not work in the way you describe it.

The tab comes off under my finger, with a green + sign, but without a number and i cannot add a second tab to this nor shift both tabs to a new split.

Cheers,

jim

Jul 8, 2020 12:25 PM in response to Jizkid

Okay, I now can add multiple tabs to the floating tag... did not read wel, you had to “tap” them.

I can move them in the group to another place at the tab-bar.

What you suggest, dragging them to the edge of the screen and thus opening a new instance with the selected tabs does not work unfortunately. Still doing something wrong perhaps?

Found that it can be done, but only if the split view is already active, with me it does not automatically create an instance.

More than one group of tabs in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.