Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Synchronise my albums without iCloud

I have create several albums in Photo on my Mac (macOS Big Sur), and organised my photos into these. All of my created albums are showing up under "My Albums".

I now want to synchronise some of these albums from my Mac to my iPhone (iOS 14) and iPad (iOS 12.4), and subsequently both ways, depending on where (Mac or iPhone) photos have been added, without the necessity of facilitating iCloud for this purpose.

When connecting my iPhone or iPad o my Mac (by means of USB or Wi-Fi), I am offered the option of selecting albums to synchronise, but unfortunately only those found under "Media Types". Not a single one of "My Albums" can be selected!

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 10:43 AM

As long as the library is the System Photo Library you should be able to see all of the albums in the library for syncing to you're iPhone:

Be aware that photos synced this way can't be deleted off the iPhone by the iPhone. They will have to be removed from the albums in your local library and then that album re-synced to the iPhone.

Try booting into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 10:43 AM in response to MMHein

As long as the library is the System Photo Library you should be able to see all of the albums in the library for syncing to you're iPhone:

Be aware that photos synced this way can't be deleted off the iPhone by the iPhone. They will have to be removed from the albums in your local library and then that album re-synced to the iPhone.

Try booting into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Synchronise my albums without iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.