Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine not backing up

When I first got my iMac I installed a 6TB WD My Book and it worked fine. The last couple of days it says it has not been able to back up time machine. If I restart the mac or disconnect the drive and restart if will back up a few times then repeat.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 12:38 PM

Hi lyle275,

Let's try by using this article, Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support, and see if this helps. You should also try this article on First Aid, Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. If you do First Aid, make sure to run First Aid on your external disks, as shown in the "External" section of the sidebar in Disk Utility.

Let us know if anything works!

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 12:38 PM in response to lyle275

Hi lyle275,

Let's try by using this article, Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support, and see if this helps. You should also try this article on First Aid, Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. If you do First Aid, make sure to run First Aid on your external disks, as shown in the "External" section of the sidebar in Disk Utility.

Let us know if anything works!

Cheers,

Jack

Jan 26, 2021 5:56 AM in response to lyle275

If everything in the two articles I sent does not help, then unfortunately, it probably means your drive should be erased, or the drive is failing.

Please, backup ALL DATA as this will delete EVERYTHING:

1. Go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go (at the top) > Utilities > Disk Utility) and open it.
  2. Choose View > Show All Devices.
  3. In the sidebar, select the "top level" storage device you want to erase in the "External" section of Disk Utility. Its name will end in "Media." Then, click the Erase button.
  4. For Time Machine in Catalina and earlier, use Mac OS Extended (Journaled). For Big Sur and later, use APFS. For BOTH, use GUID Partition Map.
  5. Click Erase.
  6. Setup Time Machine again. (System Preferences > Time Machine)
  7. Try again.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Jack

Time machine not backing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.