Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera not working on Chrome Google Meet

I have a Mac with Big Sur 11.1. Recently the camera stopped working when connecting to Google Meet. However, it's only an issue for other attendees. To me everything appears fine, I can even see myself in the windows. My microphone works great. But other users report my camera not coming up. It is ONLY on Chrome that this issue happens. Works fine on other browsers. Chrome has been allowed camera and microphone access in privacy settings. I've reinstalled Chrome. I've tried multiple accounts on Chrome and all don't work so it is a Chrome wide problem. I believe that something is happening in Mac OS that is continuing to block Chromes camera access. Though this does appear to be localized to the meet.google.com domain.

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 10:28 AM

Try this, it worked for me!

I solved my own issue, for those that are having the same go to chrome://settings/system and turn off "use hardware acceleration when available" this forced a restart of the browser that has things working now. Oddly the switch was back at the "on" position after the restart but the camera is now working.

Similar questions

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 10:28 AM in response to Wrubin

Try this, it worked for me!

I solved my own issue, for those that are having the same go to chrome://settings/system and turn off "use hardware acceleration when available" this forced a restart of the browser that has things working now. Oddly the switch was back at the "on" position after the restart but the camera is now working.

Feb 1, 2021 6:55 AM in response to aramirezomni

OK, there are 2 SOLUTIONS for now:

1. Go to chrome://settings/system and play with the Accelerator: turn it off or on, refresh/restart the browser, do it again if it did not work at the first attempt (return it back to its original state). If after refresh nothing helped - go to step 2.
  2. Downgrade the Chrome to the previous version. Simply delete the current one and download the older version here https://www.slimjet.com/chrome/google-chrome-old-version.php

The second step helped me. Some say you need to disable auto-update in Chrome, follow this link (I could not because I do not have an editor on Mac, but so far mine does not update automatically and I can still use my camera on Messenger and Teams calls): https://www.webnots.com/7-ways-to-disable-automatic-chrome-update-in-windows-and-mac/

Good luck. If the first did not help - the second will definitely do.

Jan 27, 2021 4:59 AM in response to aramirezomni

When I upgraded to Big Sur, the camera stopped working and also the ability to Present (within Google Meet) my screen to other participants too. Only Google Chrome was affected.

In System Preferences > Security & Privacy; open the lock with admin privileges and make sure that under the Privacy-tab Google Chrome is enabled (the check set) for Camera, Microphone and Screen Recording.

Then relaunch Google Chrome.

Hopefully, this tip is of help to you!!

Jan 27, 2021 11:32 AM in response to Sjallum

I am having the exact same problem. This started on 1/26/21. I am a teacher on an IMAC running on High Sierra. Suddenly my kids cannot see me but I see everything perfectly fine including myself. I am using Google Meet. I have gone to Chrome, Settings, Privacy, Site Settings and camera is on "ask before accessing". I have checked every "allowed" site and camera is on allow. I have restarted the computer and I have emptied my cache. I am in need of help as soon as possible. My apple system preferences has a Privacy but no place that I can find "camera".

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I actually feel better that it's not just me!

Thank you!

Jan 28, 2021 8:40 AM in response to aramirezomni

I have this exact same issue. This advice worked for me, thank you so much!

For some reason, when I toggled the "Use hardware acceleration when available" to ON, it only then worked. When i turned it off, then it does not work. I am wondering if it is a software glitch from Chrome, or an issue with an outdated operating system I have (High Sierra). Either way, much appreciated this advice, I was going crazy trying to find solutions.

Jan 28, 2021 12:43 PM in response to aramirezomni

I'm on OS High Sierra 10.13.6 on MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), and Chrome doesn't allow the camera to present my face to others in GoogleMeets, though it "works" for me. Help! Same issue, this started for me yesterday, 1/27/21.

The camera works on Safari and Firefox, it is only on Chrome that the camera doesn't work in Google Meets.

I turned hardware acceleration on and off and nothing changed; camera still disabled for others though it's "working" in my view.

Camera not working on Chrome Google Meet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.