Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Movie download

What size flash drive do I need to export a 51MB iMovie project to?

thanks

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 12:13 PM

My understanding is that you want to locate an exported standalone iMovie file to an external drive, presumably a thumb drive. Correct?

You would need a flash drive with more than 51MB free space. Probably 60MB would be sufficient. However, the file size can vary according to your export settings. If you use lower resolution and lower quality you will get a smaller file size than if you used higher resolution and higher quality. So best to export your movie to your desktop first, check the file size, and choose your flash drive accordingly. I would get a thumb drive with at least 4GB so you have some versatility. The thumb drives that I have are 32GB, because I put several files on them.

Also, the flash drive should be formatted ExFat if you intend to use it with both Apple and non-apple devices and software. Otherwise for use on just Apple devices you can format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Avoid using the FAT 32 format because, although it will play an iMovie created movie it is a Windows format and so its compatibility is limited. I have found, for example, that they don't play on a Panasonic TV. FAT 32 also has a file size limitation of 4GB that can be very inconvenient. Be aware that if you need to reformat your drive the reformatting process will erase all data on the drive. So, first back up any data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 12:13 PM in response to amydoty876

My understanding is that you want to locate an exported standalone iMovie file to an external drive, presumably a thumb drive. Correct?

You would need a flash drive with more than 51MB free space. Probably 60MB would be sufficient. However, the file size can vary according to your export settings. If you use lower resolution and lower quality you will get a smaller file size than if you used higher resolution and higher quality. So best to export your movie to your desktop first, check the file size, and choose your flash drive accordingly. I would get a thumb drive with at least 4GB so you have some versatility. The thumb drives that I have are 32GB, because I put several files on them.

Also, the flash drive should be formatted ExFat if you intend to use it with both Apple and non-apple devices and software. Otherwise for use on just Apple devices you can format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Avoid using the FAT 32 format because, although it will play an iMovie created movie it is a Windows format and so its compatibility is limited. I have found, for example, that they don't play on a Panasonic TV. FAT 32 also has a file size limitation of 4GB that can be very inconvenient. Be aware that if you need to reformat your drive the reformatting process will erase all data on the drive. So, first back up any data that you want to keep.

-- Rich

Movie download

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.