Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable a key/keyboard on MacBook Air?

I own a Macbook Air with macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6. A few days ago, I noticed that when I used my computer’s keyboard, it would act a bit odd. I later realized that it was acting as if the shift key was being held, despite the fact that I was not touching it. I tried finding a way to fix it, but most fixes did not work. I’m looking for a way to disable the key or completely disable the keyboard.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 7:01 AM

I am currently already using a Bluetooth keyboard. My issue was not with text being capitalized, but more with selecting files as multiple would be chosen at once, and links would be opened in separate browser windows.

I was able to fix this though by slightly lifting the shift key from underneath using my fingernail

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 7:01 AM in response to steve626

I am currently already using a Bluetooth keyboard. My issue was not with text being capitalized, but more with selecting files as multiple would be chosen at once, and links would be opened in separate browser windows.

I was able to fix this though by slightly lifting the shift key from underneath using my fingernail

Jan 25, 2021 9:02 PM in response to Megubin

This may be something that an Apple Authorized Service Provider can fix for you. Some of these businesses are open even though the Apple Store in the neighborhood is not open due to the pandemic.

Perhaps you prefer to not do that at this time. As a workaround, you can connect a keyboard via USB cable, these "Wired keyboards" are easy to find. Alternatively, you can use a bluetooth keyboard -- Apple offers several of these, they are easier to set up than non-Apple wireless keyboards. Many laptop owners prefer the external keyboard anyway. You don't need to disable the keyboard, I don't even know if that is possible without opening up the laptop.

How do I disable a key/keyboard on MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.