Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new iPhone 12 says I need to download iTunes12.10.10 on iMac

Mac is High Sirerra. I have been managing my iPhone 7 and iPhone SE with an older version of iTunes that allowed application management on screens from iTunes. Today plugged in new iPhone 12 to load it from a backup on iMac says I need a new version I downloaded and now have iTunes 12.6 but claims I need later version 12.10.10 but I cant find a place to download that from plus only seems like 12.10 is for Windows not Macs

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 4:12 AM

The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini - Technical Specifications - Apple give the following:

System Requirements

Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10.10 or later (free download from itunes.com/download)

So it should work with iTunes 12.8.2.3 installed. That version may also need to download a patch to communicate with the newer device, which should happen automatically. The MobileDeviceUpdater tool normally does it if that hasn't happened for reasons. Reboot computer and device and try again. You could also try reinstalling 12.8.2.3 while the device is connected.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 4:12 AM in response to jimsliwa

The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini - Technical Specifications - Apple give the following:

System Requirements

Syncing to a Mac or PC requires:

• macOS Catalina 10.15 or later using the Finder
  • macOS El Capitan 10.11.6 through macOS Mojave 10.14.6 using iTunes 12.8 or later
  • Windows 7 or later using iTunes 12.10.10 or later (free download from itunes.com/download)

So it should work with iTunes 12.8.2.3 installed. That version may also need to download a patch to communicate with the newer device, which should happen automatically. The MobileDeviceUpdater tool normally does it if that hasn't happened for reasons. Reboot computer and device and try again. You could also try reinstalling 12.8.2.3 while the device is connected.

tt2

Jan 25, 2021 8:55 PM in response to jimsliwa

For iOS 14 you need iTunes 12.8.2.3 or better running on OS X 10.11.6 or better. See How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan - Apple Support if required.

Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

new iPhone 12 says I need to download iTunes12.10.10 on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.