Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac2009

Hello,

So i recently bought this iMac off online used. So when i bought this it shows that it cannot be installed so i reset it using all the methods online.

i successfully reset it but when i came tno install the OS X El Capitan it did not work. I got to the point of the reinstall OS X but when i enter my apple id it said "item not found."

For what I found is that:

My app id never downloaded this OS EL Capitan and it is taken off of App Store therefore i cannot get it.

So i was wondering if there is a way to fix it or should i just recycle this iMac? Thank you so much.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 2:56 AM

If you do have an operating system on your mac and it is functioning then you can download

El Capitan using this method.

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on OS X El Capitan 10.11

this downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan,

a mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

To start the installation of El Capitan double click on the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

The copy of the install app self deletes after installing El Capitan, so make sure you keep a copy of the 

InstallMacOSX.dmg if you need it in future, or you could just make a copy of the Install OS X El Capitan.app 

prior to installing and moving it to an external drive for safe keeping. 

It is also possible to create a bootable USB installer disk using the Install OS X El Capitan.app in the Applications 

folder and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. 

Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 2:56 AM in response to Mariocartjohn1

If you do have an operating system on your mac and it is functioning then you can download

El Capitan using this method.

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on OS X El Capitan 10.11

this downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan,

a mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

To start the installation of El Capitan double click on the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

The copy of the install app self deletes after installing El Capitan, so make sure you keep a copy of the 

InstallMacOSX.dmg if you need it in future, or you could just make a copy of the Install OS X El Capitan.app 

prior to installing and moving it to an external drive for safe keeping. 

It is also possible to create a bootable USB installer disk using the Install OS X El Capitan.app in the Applications 

folder and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. 

Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

imac2009

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.