Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming video from iMac fails to AppleTv 4k

Hi, recently I've noticed streaming HD video from my TV library stored on my iMac fails onto my 4K apple tv. Not 100% but this seems to align with Big Sur & TvOS update as not really attempted it for a while.

It'll start to play and then maybe 60 seconds later it'll pause and never recover. The menus are sluggish at the same time.

The 4k box has a wired network connection as does the iMac

Streaming the same content to my old HD box (wifi) works perfectly.

Any ideas?

thanks

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 1:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 6:10 AM

Sorry - forgot to mention the Home Sharing bug I was referring to was if "Change Format" is enabled in the tvOS Settings/Video and Audio/Audio Format. Maybe see if "Change Format" is enabled on your 4K?

7 replies

Jan 26, 2021 7:16 AM in response to tony_b_

No problem! -Thanks for the info. This sounds like a variant on the Home Sharing bug people have been reporting here. I highly recommend filing a feedback report with Apple. Clearly things have taken a step backwards in regards to Dolby support in tvOS 14, so the more people that report in, the more likely Apple will take a look at what's going on. Here's the link: https://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html

Jan 26, 2021 5:45 AM in response to Jpdev001

Hi thanks for your reply,

The video is using the AC3 codec with 6 channels, so guessing it's that, i'm going to try to see if I can down mix the audio.

The old AppleTV was on 14.0.2 just forcing through an update to make it the same as the 4k.. both are now 14.3 and the HD can still play without an issue with the 6 channel audio.

Jan 26, 2021 6:26 AM in response to Jpdev001

I let it play for around 30 minutes, pausing isn't causing issues...

My wife has some old tv shows she brought (CSI, Criminal Minds... not from Apple store though) and none now play on the 4k. All streamed content works fine eg aTV+ or rented / brought films

Changing the audio to ac3 2 stereo works...

But I think the issues is as related to your last reply... Change Format is off on both, but on the 4k it shows the immersive audio dolby atmos is set to on. Turning that off fixed the issue.

thanks for the help!

Streaming video from iMac fails to AppleTv 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.